Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shoulder Surgery >

Shoulder Surgery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoulder Surgery

Old 04-17-2003, 11:51 AM

Default Shoulder Surgery

Ok so i am trying to come back from my secound surgery on my rotator cuff. Doc says I will not be able to pull my bow, with my right arm, for 6 months. I read an article about a hunter with the same injury that fashioned a piece of dog collar onto a mouth grip so he could shoot that season.

Heres the question. Does anyone out there shoot in this fashion or are there any ideas on how to shoot using a mouth release?

Thanks for the help

hunt on hunt hard eat well
Old 04-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shoulder Surgery

Sorry to hear that chef.

I know of a guy that comes to our local shoots that only has one arm. Never talked to him, but have seen him shoot. Looks to me that he might have a shorter draw to make up for it. The tab he uses almost looks like a piece of nylon attached to his loop that gives his teeth more surface area to bite. Almost like the things that attach to zippers on some coats and backpacks.

Another good source might be trying to get in contact with Dwight Schuh from bowhunter magazine. He just went throught the same thing. http://www.bowhunter.com/editorial/

Hope that helps some.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:05 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

chef#1,
Sorry to hear about your surgery. Dont know about shooting that way but I can tell you this. Every time that cuff gets torn it gets harder to repair. There is no good material to just replace it with. So take care of it and let it heal. Sorry!

Take care and good luck,
Rick
Old 04-18-2003, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

that was Dwight Schuh

he just explained how he did it in the last issue of Bowhunter (or is it Bowhunting? I always get them confused...anyway whichever one he is editor of)
Old 04-18-2003, 05:52 AM

I sympathize with you chef!
I' ve been sitting on the fence since last October waiting to get the go ahead
I had surgery on my right wrist

AL
Old 04-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Spike

I can relate to your situation.This past Feb,I also had surgery done on my left shoulder.It wasn' t the rotator-cuff though I had a hook growing on the bone.More severe than a bone spur.Anyway today Ihad the bow shop increase the poundage for me.Last week was the first time that i shot it since the surgery.man it felt good to hit the " X" again.What i would recommend is to let time heal it.One wrong move and your back to square one.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:40 PM

Sorry to hear that Chef! My dad a couple years back had to have shoulder surgery to his right arm, dontr know what exactley was done. Im sorry I dont have any info to help, but I hope you figure something out!