Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting from ground blind? >

Bowhunting from ground blind?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting from ground blind?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bowhunting from ground blind?

Is it really tough? I want to get one so my girlfriend and I can hunt together without using a Sear's tower of a tree stand and it'll let me be more mobile, but are deer really nervous about the new big thing in their territory? Is the scent of the blind an issue? How about shoot-through windows, supposedly they work with fixed blade broadheads but that seems a little scary?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Spike

Default RE: Bowhunting from ground blind?

I used a ground blind this year for the first time. What I did was set the blind up in my yard for a week or so before the hunt. The new smell did have me concerned, thats why I set it out for a week. The shoot through mesh works well. The deer did not have any issues with the "new foriegn object" in thier area. Had Turkeys within 10 yards from the blind for about 20 minutes and they were clueless we were there. I did brush it in really good! That is the key! Me and my wife spent 4 days in it and actually enjoyed it.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt from one a lot. I have taken deer, elk, and antelope from one. Not to imply that they are the paragon of all virtue, but they certainly have their place.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

My experience with a Ground Blind is limited to hunting Mule Deer, Antelope, & Turkeys. They work Great for all those animals!! I think Whitetails might take a little more brushing the blind in, but I'm sure they will work in the right situation.

A Buddy killed a nice 10 point Whitetail Buck this past Oct. in NE out of a Blind.

Don't skimp! Buy the best Blind you can afford. Look at the Primos/Double Bull blinds. I Love my Dark Horse.

Dan
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brush it in well and if you have the chance where you hunt, set it up well beforehand and leave it as long as you can. Scent will be gone and it'll really look natural to them.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

i set mine up each weekend and i dont brush it in. the deer are very curious as to what it is and actually come in to check it out. i do not use scent control products either.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

the deer are very curious as to what it is and actually come in to check it out.
mature bucks too? I've always been afraid of a blind when it comes to mature deer in bowrange. I do rifle hunt out of one 2 or 3 times a year but thats about it.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I've had the opposite experience. When I've set mine up and not brushed it in, deer don't get within 100 yards of the thing and much foot stomping and snorting shortly follow.

I've also brushed it in and they still see it and take a wide berth. I've had no luck with the whitetails. Turkeys and antelope pay not attention to the thing.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hillbilly archer

the deer are very curious as to what it is and actually come in to check it out.
mature bucks too? I've always been afraid of a blind when it comes to mature deer in bowrange. I do rifle hunt out of one 2 or 3 times a year but thats about it.
Yes mature bucks too.....when i say i dont brush it in i am not saying that i just plop it in the middle of a field and go to town...i usually look for a cluster of pines and set up in front of them. However i dont do any more work than that.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 PM

I shot one early, early bow season this year (september) and there were 3 other does with her, they never knew we were there..For safety, i'd set it up a few weeks before you plan on hunting out of it so they have a little while to get some sort of comfort built around it.

You just gotta find a good spot to put it, like mottz said, brush it in and forsure wouldn't hurt to spray scent killer on it.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting from ground blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.