Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ground blind ideas >

Ground blind ideas

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground blind ideas

Old 12-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Ground blind ideas

I'm gonna make several ground blinds for '09. My question is....what do you guys who do this sit on? Sounds simple enough.....as I took my turkey stool with me last night. Worked fine. But it's still something I have to carry in.

Got to thinking.....if I planned my ground blinds around having a tree in the middle of it....I could use one of those tree seats (summit sells one) and carry that in to each set (if I'm going to have to carry something, anyways) and attach it to the tree. The I thought further.....and decided I could just use the upper portion of my LW climber for that purpose.

If you hunt ground blinds....what do you use? I could probably set some 5 gal buckets in each one.....but that seems "trashy" to the woods I hunt.

Do most of you shoot from a sitting positio or do most of your shots come from a knee?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground blind ideas

I've tried the tree seats, and haven't had much luck, mostly due to my considerable bulk. I can't get far enough away from the tree get drawn while sitting on the seat. I have used a standard metal folding chair with good success. I sit so that I am facing at a 90 degree angle to where I want/expect to shoot so that I shouldn't have to move too much. I have done the bucket thing too, but my ass got REAL tired, real quick. There are a bunch of good, small chairs out now that have fold up legs. I used on up in Canada last year and it was comfortable, with a swivel seat as well. A bucket designed for dove hunting has also worked for me, since they are usually a little taller.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have one of those little fold up chairs that I bought at the PGA Championship at Oak Hill [8D] Very small and light. It has a long strap on it. I throw it around my neck and let it rest on my back. I usually sit from a seated position.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

My dad uses a spinning stool.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I have one like that too, NY (seat). It's the PERFECT height for shooting out of my blind.

Hard on the butt.....but the perfect size.

My turkey seat (got from the NWTF) is the same seat (only camo) but it has a backrest. I strapped it to my shoulder yesterday....and it rides in really well. I got to thinking about the tree seat because it would also help to break up my outline (having a tree incorporated into my blind). I guess I'll get the LW upper out and try to shoot that way, soon. Good point, Mike. I haven't checked to see if I can with the longbow.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

I have attached the top part of my climber to a tree while using a blind as well, my best advise is to put the seat a little higher then normal seat level. this will allow you to lean forward to make your shot with bow, and not be so close to the tree when you draw. Might not be as comfortable, but its the price we pay in order to be ready.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Five gallon buckets work great Jeff. I don't worry about them being trashy as I just about always clean up a few things dumped where I park. I sure pack out more than I pack in.

I make blinds out of everything from split burlap bags to carpet scraps and they work. The added benny of a GB is they keep the wind off you a bit and feel 10 degrees warmer than being up the tree..You can also stretch your legs out when you want without the movement being an issue.

I think I remember you saying you always carry in your climber. It will be a pleasant change to walk right in and sit down...
Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do a search for torges tree seat (aw here it is). It's a design you can build yourself cheap. It is a seat you attach to a tree. It works well but I don't think there's a single solution that works in every situation. I have a three leg seat, a torgues, and a armless camp chair. All work well in different terrain and situations. Another thing to lookat is the Nif-T-Seat. DoubleBull makes a blind seat as well but it's not cheap in any sense of the word.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 AM

http://www.huntmore.biz/huntmore/home.html

I can't wait to see what these sell for. I loathe sitting in any hunting stool, bucket, etc...I can't last very long on them. This stool appears to be the cat's meow, depending on how much it sells for.[&:]

I will say though, walmart sells the smaller sized 4 leg collapsable lawnchairs for $4, they work perfect in a blind since they are the same height as other stools, they just are 100x more comfortable than any three legged hunting stool ever dreamed of being.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, Talon. I've seen the DB seat...but prefer the one I have to it. I'll check the other links.

I think I remember you saying you always carry in your climber. It will be a pleasant change to walk right in and sit down...
That's what I'm MOST looking forward to.

Trev.....that chair is great looking!

Quick Reply: Ground blind ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.