Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Hunting

Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Shed Hunting

Its getting to be that time of year again and i cant wait!! What works the best for you when your looking for sheds? Also, when do you start looking? Here in wisconsin I here of guys finding them in the end of dec. I usually make it out starting in Feb. I seem to have the best luck in bedding areas!!
Old 12-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shed Hunting

seen them without as early as January and still with them as late as mid april.........and with the buck densities the way that are...or should I say not...around here....finding sheds is generally accidental....personally, in NC, Ive only found 3. All were accidental, 2 while at my previous job (locating, flagging, GPSing wetlands and streams aka Waters of the U.S., for developers). One while scouting and it was atleast a year old, what was left of it. I do know several people, one in particular is a nonhunter, who finds them quite often, worked with me at the same job. She'd find them in bushes and hung on limbs and of course on the ground. And Ive put many miles (cnt tell it now lol) in the woods through every type of terrain and vegetation NC and SC have to offer, from 5000'+ In rhododendron thickets and ridge tops traversing one drainage to the other, to nearly sea level in 400' ac of pure hell in SC to some of the best areas in NC for deer, and beleive me, nothing better to get from Point A to Point B in some of the junk I had to go through than deer trails. Wether it be upright or belly crawling. They gotta fall somewhere, but I think the squirrels are the first ones on the scene and make off with them.

I did find several one time in GA, while on an intership with a property manager, in Feb. Cruised the food plots every morning. Id imagine in 2000ac of pines, those 50 ac worth of scattered food plots would draw any and every deer.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suck at shed hunting[&o]
Old 12-15-2008, 04:13 PM

squirlls or any rodents- i know this could be hard info to come by, but how long would it take a rodent to chew up a whole shed?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

I suck at shed hunting[&o]
Me too, only found one shed in my whole career. Kudos for trying though...