Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fred Bear Whitetail II >

Fred Bear Whitetail II

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fred Bear Whitetail II

Old 12-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fred Bear Whitetail II

I am just getting into archery and I am looking for a nice starter bow that I can learn from. I dont want to spend too much money and I found this one on craigslist. It looks like its in great shape and I emailed the guy to go and see it tomorrow.

Has anyone ever owned this bow and what did you guys think of it. Will it be a good bow to learn from and will it be forgiving.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/spo/956284343.html
Old 12-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Banned

Default RE: Fred Bear Whitetail II

I had one of those 20 some years ago..gr8 bow but way 2 old IMO and outdated..and could be worn and dangerous to shoot...get something 5 years old or so and you will have modern technology and 5 year old bows are super cheap to buy
Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Let me give you a little analogy......

If you had to learn how to play golf with 20 yr old clubs....my guess is you'd not have AS enjoyable an experience as you would if you used modern equip.

I don't see archery as any different....as long as we're not talking traditional tackle.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
bigcountry

I had one too. Along with the bear whitetail with cables and pulleys. I thought I was hot crap with it. But honestly, its about the same performance as a longbow or recurve believe it or not but much louder.

I have one right now, I am helping out a guy at church to setup.

Lots of good deals out there. Not sure this is one of them. Definately not worth 100 dollars. I just sold a 2000 model PSE for 190 with case. And it shot 280fps with a 370gr arrow.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help guys thats exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Banned

Go to Archerytalk.com and look in the classifieds..TONS of used bows to be had.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 PM
bigcountry

TheMiz, a few things I recommend you look for in a used bow. One is a bow with a back wall. Most bows before 2000 didn't have one. Well alot of them. This is when you come to full draw, you can't draw anymore. My older PSE Mohave and my real old browning excellerator II and PSE fireflight did not have a back wall, and it was possible to overdraw it.

For a guy just getting into this, it might be nice to find a bow with adjustable draw length. Like the PSE synergy cams were. Not sure what your price range is, but if you ever make the mistake to shoot a more modern parallel limb bow, it will be hard for you to shoot anything else.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

but if you ever make the mistake to shoot a more modern parallel limb bow, it will be hard for you to shoot anything else.
what he said
Old 12-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will go to Gander mountain and try out a few bows see what my draw length is and then check out soe used bows on Archerytalk.com Thanks for the help everyone
Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

A back wall is very important, My GF's bow is a Browning micro adrenaline, great little bow, but she has a hard time with the wall, (i think). It's very spongy, and its a new age bow too, just made for youth or small framed people. I can shoot it well, but just trying to start out, it wouldnt be very fun.

The bow you have listed Deffinately not worth the price. IMO, I sold a Bear White-tail hunter witht he wheels and pulleys for $20. Keep looking, and as every has suggested go for something newer, It will deffinately be worth it. Its hard to get to get hooked on something that is that hard to shoot...
Hardly any left off, no back wall, loud, feels like you grabbed a light socket when you let the string go....[8D]

Quick Reply: Fred Bear Whitetail II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.