Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DIY elk hunting tips >

DIY elk hunting tips

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DIY elk hunting tips

Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default DIY elk hunting tips

I know lots of guys want to go elk hunting and I though I would share with you some tips I learned from my last two DIY elk hunt hunts. This last hunt I learned a lot on. I am still a novice by many standards of the many veterans out there and please add some tips for me and the others here.

1. Hunt high if it is warm. EDIT: Hunt where it is cool when it is hot..not always cool where it is high

2.Get yourself acclimated to the elevation if you are a flat lander as the high altitude sickness sucks. Hang around camp a couple of days before you try to exert yourself. Bring some Aleve as they reduce inflamation and your brain is swelling in your head and this is why you feel like hell. Drink lots of water too.

3.Biggest mistake I made on my 1st hunt was to try to pack all of my gear(70#'s) on my back way back in. HUGE mistake. Bring a wall tent and make a comfortable spike camp where you park your truck and then do your hunts out of that with a lightweight backpack.

4.Call in advance and see if fires are allowed with the current status of the woods' dryness and bring a chainsaw if it is allowed and get your wood and camp all comfortable the 1st day so you can enjoy the hunt. Most states don't allow you to bring your own wood into their state; has to be cut there.The pic below was my last DIY elk hunt camp in Sept and what a nice place to stay. I was there 14 days and could have made it another month.

5. Water nearby your camp is a big bonus for solar showers and to fill up water containers. No matter how pure you think it is..DON'T drink it unless it is boiled, purified with iodine tablets, or ran through a purifier. I have a Katdyn backpack purifier that takes up little space and instantly purifies my water.

6. Spend $$ on a quality pack as you will be carrying a good load on your back at all times.

7. Bring a backup bow in case you have a failure with your favorite one.

8. Be prepared to lose 10-15 lbs..this is the norm as I lost this much and so did many others in a survey on AT

9. Bring a camera...I did but didn't take nearly enough photos as I just bought the camera and hadn't got in the mode yet.

10. Bring a treestand and a ground blind as these are going to both be utilized.

11. Get a GPS and know how to use it...no way I would go out in the woods without one. In the midwest you can always walk out to a road or farmhouse..the big pines and aspens all look the same..easy to get lost

12. Good boots...these are a must as you will be hiking and walking on rugged terrain. Danners fit the bill and I imagine that more elk hunters wear a Danner boot than any other.

13. Bring a table or twoto put outside of your tent...a must for putting gear on and cooking off of and very convienent

14. Bring raingear..it rained almost everyday on my last hunt

15. Setup camp low and always hunt higher than camp so you pack meat downhill instead of up

16. Bring a small tent to stow extra gear in

17. Get into shape before you go!!!!!!

18. Bring a broadhead target so you can practice in camp out to 50 yds.

water purification, GPS, lightweight mountain cookstove

Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: DIY elk hunting tips

He's our elk camp from this past fall in Wyoming. We look like softies compared to you Hardcore

[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]
Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

By the way, where did you go and how'd you do?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Also when I leave camp...I always have in the back of my mind that I may have to spend a day, 2, or more laying somewhere with a broken leg or ankle. I broke an ankleJanuarys ago while whitetail hunting..stupid..climbing a hill and slipped in mud. Only way out was to crawl 3/4 mile back to truck. Be prepared with water and a little food and a makeshift tent or tarp for weather protection. Also always have a means for a fire on you.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dopler

1st hunt in the Durango,CO area San Juan MTsand this Sept in Gila National Forest north of Silver City,NM. I took a cow on my 2nd hunt. How about you..any success..pics of the hunt or camp life?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

GOOD READ. I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO # 1. Hunt high if it is warm. or Hunt in deep dark wet canyons! Everyon goes high!

Here is my public land Idaho bull from this year!

And My Washington Bull from 06'

Old 12-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

Nice bull..gr8 point..high isn't always cool. Hunt where it is cool when it is hot
Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

I also forgot to mention that GPS's eat batteries and u should always use lithiums just like u should use them in a digital camera too...or rechargeable batteries and bring extra batteries.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

GOOD READ. I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO # 1. Hunt high if it is warm. or Hunt in deep dark wet canyons! Everyon goes high!

Here is my public land Idaho bull from this year!

And My Washington Bull from 06'

Mullie, did you get the bull aged from this year? Is it an old one going down hill? Nice one!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: Dopler

1st hunt in the Durango,CO area San Juan MTsand this Sept in Gila National Forest north of Silver City,NM. I took a cow on my 2nd hunt. How about you..any success..pics of the hunt or camp life?
Hardcore, I know Colorado can be a real tough hunt with the tons of dark timber in that state. Congrats on the cow in NM! Killing an elk with a bowis one of the hardest things to do IMO.I hunted 7 straight days, hadone closeencounterwitha 330+ bull--he was only 35 yards from me but could not get an open shot in the thick stuff he and his cowswere in, I had one window and a cow was next to him and sheended up saving him. I ended upgettingthis small 6x6 on the very lastafternoon hunt.I've been eating elk meat almost everyday since, can't get enough of the stuff.Going to New Mexico next year--never hunted that state before but am certainly looking forward to it.

[/align][/align]

Quick Reply: DIY elk hunting tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.