HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   anyone ever bury a skull for a european mount? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/275528-anyone-ever-bury-skull-european-mount.html)

thehairlessone! 11-26-2008 08:03 AM

anyone ever bury a skull for a european mount?

i was thinking about doing this but i didnt know how much trouble it was,etc.

anyone ever do it?

rick

crenshaw 11-26-2008 08:11 AM

RE: anyone ever bury a skull for a european mount?

Yeah, it works fine, but make sure you skin it first, the skin will turn to hard leather and wont come off in sections if you dont. Also, sometimes the antlers might change color a little bit, sometimes they dont. Id make sure there buried too to prevent bleaching from the sun.

njbuck22 11-26-2008 08:12 AM

I have 8 European mounts, 7 of those have been done by using beetles and one was done by boiling it. im sure that burying the skull will work but it will probably take a long time, especially now that winter is coming. I would also imagine that you would have to clean the skull up alot once you dig it back up.

Schultzy 11-26-2008 08:13 AM

Works slick!! I bury allot of my bear skulls also to get them all cleaned up. Good points crenshaw also!!

Planter 11-26-2008 08:15 AM

Bury it deep and put a rock over it..

I put mine in a Lobster trap and let the crabs, lobsters and sea lice do the job. Those critters can strip a human down to the bones in a week so they make short work of a skull.

PS.. Sure won't do you much good if you don't live on the water..

YooperMike 11-26-2008 08:18 AM

I bury mine also, covered with a giant flower pot. I don't bury the antlers, just the skull, so no bleaching or discoloring. Works like a charm, buried mine last season, dug ti up this spring, clean as a whistle.

Jim_IV 11-26-2008 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

I have 8 European mounts, 7 of those have been done by using beetles and one was done by boiling it. im sure that burying the skull will work but it will probably take a long time, especially now that winter is coming. I would also imagine that you would have to clean the skull up alot once you dig it back up.
Where do you get the beetles?

Canuck33 11-26-2008 08:23 AM

I know it works but be careful that squirrels and mice don't knaw on the antlers

TEmbry 11-26-2008 08:25 AM

Beetles are a hassle, major hassle...to keep them alive and a well populated colony...or so Im told.

My buddy has access to two colonies, getting my euro cleaned, peroxided, finished and everything in less than 3 weeks...without touching it! lol Ill post pics when I get it back.

thehairlessone! 11-26-2008 08:27 AM

If I did it I was going to bury it and cover the antlers up with a bit pot I have. I want it to look nice but I dont want to spend a bunch of money on it.

I figured if I had to I could do a little cleaning or bleach the skull after it was done but I want to make sure this method will work good before I try it.

rick