Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NEW WORLD RECORD 2 YEAR OLD BUCK??? >

NEW WORLD RECORD 2 YEAR OLD BUCK???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NEW WORLD RECORD 2 YEAR OLD BUCK???

Old 11-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default NEW WORLD RECORD 2 YEAR OLD BUCK???

first off i know there will be plenty of people who won't believe this, so you can call bs up until the buck comes out in north american whitetail magazine.

i shot a 155" 3 year old this weekend here in kansas and took it to the taxidermist. whenever i go to the taxidermist i am like a kid in the candy store looking at all the amazing 200"+ deer in there. first, one deer caught my eye, it was a boone and crocket buck with a third 8" spike comming out of the middle of his forehead like a unicorn, really cool!

that buck was reallyafreakbut the real story was that the taxidermist showed me a picture of a buck he is working on. it was a boone and crocket + buck. the amazing thing is that the buck was only 2 years old. the guy that shot the buck said he had been watching it the year before with a 130" rack and passed it up. the taxidermist had some people come in from illinois to make sure of the age and it was confirmed. the buck is tiny in size but his rack is perfectly symetrical, and huge. anyways north american whitetail magazine will come out with an article about the buck sometime in the future. they also estimated that if the buck would have lived to its third year, it would have been the state record typical at least.

while talking to the taxidermist he mentioned that the guys aged most of the racks he had in the place while they were there. amazingly 80% of the racks over 150, up to 200" were only 3 year old bucks. now, he could be stretching things a bit but i will have to see when the article comes out. talk about some fast growing genetics in the area!

sorry, i have no photo's of the 2 year old buck, i only saw the photo of the guy next to the deer. if i get around to it i will post a picture of my 3 year old.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEW WORLD RECORD 2 YEAR OLD BUCK???

first off i know there will be plenty of people who won't believe this, so you can call bs up until the buck comes out in north american whitetail magazine.
ok, BS
Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Unlessthe taxidermisthad the front incisor cross-cut for ring counting under a microscope, the age designation is merely speculation.A 130" 1.5 year old would be extreme. Not saying the story is BS, considering the current world record typical Hanson buck.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

while talking to the taxidermist he mentioned that the guys aged most of the racks he had in the place while they were there. amazingly 80% of the racks over 150, up to 200" were only 3 year old bucks. now, he could be stretching things a bit but i will have to see when the article comes out. talk about some fast growing genetics in the area!
How exactly do you age a buck using the rack? Oh, you might get within a couple of years at best.

the guy that shot the buck said he had been watching it the year before with a 130" rack and passed it up.
So the year before it was one year old with a 130" rack?

Sorry, I have to call BS as well.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

i am not saying it isn't bs, i did hear the story from the taxidermist himself and i saw the photo of the deer. the buck itself is tiny, i couldn't believe the size of the buck compared to the guy behind it. and the rack attached to the buck just didn't look natural compared to anything else i have ever seen. i guess i will have to buy a subscription and wait for an article, i am curious to know for sure.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: vmartin

i am not saying it isn't bs
first off i know there will be plenty of people who won't believe this, so you can call bs up until the buck comes out in north american whitetail magazine

I'm calling BS too.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

I'll wait until I see the article and documentation before I render judgement. There are exceptional deer that come along from time to time that defy all norms andodds.Ioften wonder what the 139" 2.5 year old thatI have on the wall would have scored at 1.5 years of age.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Unlessthe taxidermisthad the front incisor cross-cut for ring counting
Centenum Deposits.....is what you're reffering too.

Pretty cool story...I'm sure it's possible. Most monster deer are in the 3yo age category, mostly because 3yo tend to be the dominant deer because hunting pressure cuts the age structure at that age....
Actually it's cementum annuli.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

killed a 2.5 year old in KS last week. He scored 132 and weighed 260#. They do grow up fast out there.

Quick Reply: NEW WORLD RECORD 2 YEAR OLD BUCK???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.