HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Deer and Cigarette Smoke (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/270758-deer-cigarette-smoke.html)

Pope94/IA 10-30-2008 06:33 AM

Deer and Cigarette Smoke

Can deer smell cigarettes or cigarette smoke?

Schultzy 10-30-2008 06:35 AM

RE: Deer and Cigarette Smoke

No doubt they can. They can smell anything and everything.

SouthernMDArchers 10-30-2008 06:41 AM

Sure they can. I am a smoker and go to great lengths to conceal that fact from the deer)). I do not smoke in the house, wife would kill me!!! I do not smoke after I shower for a hunt. My hunting clothes are always washed and kept in sealed bags.

Deer can smell human body odor so why would you think they can not smell cigarette smoke? It gets on your clothes and smells bad. IMHO cigarette smoke is a foreign odor to them. I can not remember the last time I saw a buck walk by with a Marlboro sticking out of his mouth)))) LoL

Dave

ydduit 10-30-2008 06:43 AM

I am sure they can smell it.
I wouldalmost guaranteeit would have a negative impact on your hunting success although I can't tell you howmany success stories I have heard over the years that start with..."so there I was, sitting inmy stand...steaming thermos of coffee between my legs and a cigarette in my mouth when all of a sudden there he was....";)

LittleChief 10-30-2008 06:46 AM

ORIGINAL: ydduit

I am sure they can smell it but I am not sure of the effect that it would have on them as I am a non smoker.

But i don know I have heard many success stories that start with..."so there I was, sitting inmy stand...thermos of coffee between my legs and a cigarette in my mouth when all of a sudden there he was....";)
I've heard many of those stories in my lifetime also, but I'd be willing to bet that they actually need to add another word there - "when all of a sudden there he was, UPWIND".:D

Hoyt_Viper 10-30-2008 07:00 AM

Maybe they can, but if Im not dipping my cig smoke mixes in with the airplane fuel Im so high up in a tree!

I have smoked in a tree before and shot a deer 10 yrds away. One trait a deer has is curiosity. If its not human it wont spook them, just like many things to a deer, they are more curious than anything..IMHO.

2FNSLO 10-30-2008 08:46 AM

My dad smokes in his tree stand everytime he hunts. He does get way up in the trees though. Last night he said he was close to 50 feet up.

SouthernMDArchers 10-30-2008 08:52 AM

50 feet? At that height why bother with the bow? Just drop the arrow, I am sure gravity will do the rest))))

Dave

Deleted User 10-30-2008 09:09 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

roadrkt 10-30-2008 09:28 AM

IMHO Cigarette smoke will clear a field of deer faster than Philip Fulmer can clear a football stadium. I know, because I have experienced it. I was on a paid hunt in TX and had already killed my animal, was just sitting to hopefully get a hog. There were a half dozen deer at the feeder, and I lit a cigarette to see what would happen. As soon as the deer got a whiff, they bolted, blew, and ran to the next county, I didn't see any other animals that day. So, don't smoke unless you are 100% certain that you are upwind and there won't be any swirling wind. I have noticed that in the a.m. hunts, when I am high in a tree (20ft or better), that the air currents usually rise, so you might get away with a smoke, but, you had better have a way to hide the butt and ashes.