Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Very little blood on the arrow... >

Very little blood on the arrow...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Very little blood on the arrow...

Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Very little blood on the arrow...

Has anyone ever killed one and surprised by the lack of blood on the shaft and fletching?

I shot at a 7-point this morning and he mule-kicked and ran about 40 yards where he stopped and apparently started walking. When I got out of my tree and looked at the arrow, there almost nothing on it. Couple hairs and light streaks on two of the fletchings. After 1.5 hours I went to the location where I saw him stop and saw a decent blood trail that continued for at least 10 to 15 feet. At that point I decided to come back home and will go look again this afternoon.

I have very little hope in finding this deer and judging from teh arrow, I am thinking he is fine, but wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this. He was quartering away.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Very little blood on the arrow...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2991180&mpage=1
Old 10-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd take some time,let him stiffen up.

Then look in that small cabinet to the left of your stove,any deer that I shot quartering away always went to the left. I've had a couple make it all the way to the lazy Susan,but that just seems to mix them up.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Sorry to be one of the annoying newbies, thatthe post eluded to.

I found the thread about recovering deer and thought it was very well thought out, but it didNOT address the issue of blood evidence on an arrow with respect to shot placement. I have killed 11 archery bucks in thelast 11 years, and this one has puzzled me. That's why I registered and posted the message.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe you could explain your logic in this.
I saw him stop and saw a decent blood trail that continued for at least 10 to 15 feet. At that point I decided to come back home and will go look again this afternoon.
With a decent blood trail you give up and go home. And then state that you have little hope in finding this deer?
How about some details,where did the arrow hit,how high in the tree were you?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd say a good blood trail trumps the lack of blood on the arrow.

Heck Matt/PA shot one here this year that we ALL would have sworn was a gutshot (based on the arrow evidence). Turns out it was a PERFECT hit....and likely picked up food matter in the esophagus.

If you've got a good blood trail.....what other evidence do you really need?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM

THanks for the input. Please understand that I have not given up. As soon as I realized there was a blood trail, I decided to back off for 6 hours or so.

I am not saying it was a GOOD blood trail, it could have been where he was standing still or moving very slowly.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only time that I shot deer and did not have good blood on the arrow is when it hits gut....The doe I shot opening morning was quartering to and there was almost no blood on the arrow. However if you sniff the arrow and it turns your stomach; you know you hit gut.

Consequently the doe I shot only went 40 yrds. It was a one lung, liver, gut shot.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good idea to back off especially if you have no idea where you hit the deer. Give him as much time as you possible can (even more then 6 if possible).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's odd, but this last deer I shot, I felt had very little blood on the arrow. Yes there was a thin coating, but nothing like there normally is. IT had a horrible blood trail too, but was oddly enough a perfect double lung.

Sometimes weird things happen. Good luck finding your deer, the evidence of a good blood trail is very encouraging.