Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27 >

Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Spike

Default Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Im pretty sure the buck I shot this morning was single lung shot. He was shot about 9:45 and was quartering away at about 15 yards. My shot was high but I believe it was under the spine. I didn't get a pass thru and couldn't find my arrow or blood for the first 15-20 yards after the POI, I backed out after that and decided to give him til 12:00 or 12:30. How long would you wait?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Single lung shot

I'd wait until late afternoon. No need to rush. Let him lay up and if you did get a lung he should expire in his bed. If you bump him and he isn't leaving a decent blood trail you'll greatly diminish your chances of a recovery.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

With our temps, today....just me....but I would give him 4 hours. That'll put you picking up the trail at around 2:00. Temps are on your side, today.....so I would be cautious.

Chances are....he's dead right now. He'll be just as dead in a few hours, though. I wish you luck on your recovery.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I was 100% that I only got one lung with no other organ, I would get on it after about 20 minutes.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Give him an hour or two and then slowly track. Keep looking or glassing far ahead as to not spook him.

I've had trails where there was little to no blood for that long and then the blood was pooring out. Single lung is probably going to take him a while but the Broad head bouncing around in him will do its job.

Let us know!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

I'd wait until late afternoon. No need to rush. Let him lay up and if you did get a lung he should expire in his bed. If you bump him and he isn't leaving a decent blood trail you'll greatly diminish your chances of a recovery.
Take a nap right now. There is no way I would be heading out to look for him before 2pm. If the temps are in your favor, stay home for a bit and give him some time to bed down. If he was not pushed, I would assume he would bed up fairly quickly. Once he bedded up he will start to stiffen up and hopefully expire soon, but if you bump him he is gone.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

With our temps, today....just me....but I would give him 4 hours. That'll put you picking up the trail at around 2:00. Temps are on your side, today.....so I would be cautious.

Chances are....he's dead right now. He'll be just as dead in a few hours, though. I wish you luck on your recovery.
I like your thinking, i think ill wait until at least 1:30. Hes a nice buck, real nice for this area. If I had to guess he would just fall short of P&Y
Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

If you walk right up on him....you can still hunt the afternoon.

If you bump him....you're in for a long afternoon and evening, potentially.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you walk right up on him....you can still hunt the afternoon.

If you bump him....you're in for a long afternoon and evening, potentially.
WAIT as long as possible!!!! My brother had a hit just like what you are describing .... deer search couldn't find it cuz he didn't wait long enough .....
Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

If I was 100% that I only got one lung with no other organ, I would get on it after about 20 minutes.
I'm curious Bob, please expound.

Quick Reply: Single lung shot-Update from deer shot 10/27

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.