Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbing treestands? >

Climbing treestands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing treestands?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Climbing treestands?

Im thinking about getting one. I have a few question that I thought you guys could answer. How safe are these treestands. Are they easy to use im thinking about getting the primetime? Can u stand up in them and not have the base turn and slip.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Climbing treestands?

I've been climbing trees for nearly 25 years with a variety of treestands from homemade and bare hugging trees to the one of the finest I feel is on the market.

When I first bought my first Ol'man I owned a Loggy Bayou. Although effective, it scared the bejezzus out of me on more than one occasion. When my ex wife wanted to get into hunting I used to hang a stand with screw ins for her and then go climb a tree with my Loggy. It was a pain in the ass so I searched for a suitable tree stand that she (4'11, 110lbs) could carry and use on her own. I first bought a Summit. Not only did it pack bad IMO, she couldn't use it in a tree. It was too cumbersome and when I tried it, I like it less than my Loggy. It was comfortable I'll give ya that but with the hanging seat, it put the bar too high and often inhibited shooting on close shots.

I then sold the Summit and bought an Ol'man for her. Not only did she use it with ease, I found it to be one of the easier most packable quiet tree stands I've ever used. When she didn't hunt, I left my Loggy at home and took her Ol'man. Soon, I bought a second Ol'man and put my Loggy away for use as a loc on only.

I've now used my Ol'man stand for nearly 10 years or more. Until I find a better treestand, I will continue to use it. I want the best and I don't hesitate to buy the best when I find it. For those in the market, don't miss out on the Ol'man before you buy more expensive ones.

Weight, the steel ones are not the lightest on the market. I don't find weight a factor, like I said, that little girl could carry and use it with ease BUT if you want light, it's hard to find a lighter one than the Ol'man Pro at 17lbs.

Climbing, I've found it to be one of the quietest. I've climbed down with deer in bow range using the tree as a hiding place. I never got to step off but I had to wait until they left on their own but at least I got down.

Packing, very flat and very comfortable on the back. I cannot tell you how many miles I've put in with the treestand on my back. I always add my backpack over the treestand and it's been a fine combination for so many years.

Security, I've hunted off of power poles because it was perfect in the right spot with no climbable trees. Stupid but it worked, I spotted a dandy buck but I stood out like a sore thumb....lol MY point is, a slick power pole and the treestand never missed a beat. I've experimented with the stand at ground level, you cannot get it to kick out or slip. It's secure and once stationed it has straps that hook around the front of the tree that secure it even more. It's in place and motionless. I've taken hours of countless naps in this stand without fear. In fact, naps are what I look forward to in my Ol'man stand.

One added feature I love is the comfortable net seat, I've had dark to dark sits in this stand with maximum comfort. You can also sit facing away from the tree or facing toward the tree. It's versatile that way by just sliding the net seat. The net also is bar level so the bar is not too high for shooting. I often use the bar to rest my legs against while shooting around trees etc.. That's a plus in my book plus adding security.

The bars around the tree also seem to hug you keeping the warmth in in extreme cold weather.

Price: Unmatched, the steel can be bought under $200 and the aluminum for slightly more. There are several options for feet support and rifle rests.

Just a suggestion if your in the market. You may pay too much for some overpriced stands if you look past this one. I feel it's unmatched for all around price, comfort, packing and quietness.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:48 AM

Get one that is lighter than 20 pounds if you plan on carrying it deep into the woods. They can be dangerous if you lean onthem the wrong way, it wouldn't take much for either end to slip. I always wear my safety harness even while traveling up and down the tree. It is a little time consuming having to move the rope around the tree but IMO it is worth it. I usually start doing this when I am about 10 feet up to save some time. Ten feet can still break your back, don't get me wrong but it beats not doing it entirely. They also come with belt straps that you can use for packing it in and out but it is also to be used to secure it solidly to the tree when you are at the desired height. It is also a good idea to tie the two ends together with a rope just incase you lose one of the ends on your way up. If you lose the top sitting end for some reason, it may throw you off your balance so be aware. With some practice and experience they are very nice to get used to however.

My advice would be to get a Summit. I don't have one yet but they are about the easiest to pack in and out and get you up and down the tree quickly. I bought a Field and Stream because it was all I could afford but it is a bit of a pain to setup and take down. Something like a Summit will have you enjoy the hunt a little more.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Spike

I have an Ol" Man Climber, it is light, compact and easy to set up.I have used a Loggy also, I feel much more secure in with the Ol' Man. The bars on the sides keep you in the set.

I would definitely buy another
Old 10-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like that stand Rob. Do they make one that ends here, without the bar on front?Whats it weigh?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

I like that stand Rob. Do they make one that ends here, without the bar on front?Whats it weigh?

They make one that you can put the bar down or up on. The one pictured in aluminum is 17.7 lbs. One of the lightest I've seen.

This one is the Multivision, you can hang it with the bar up for rifle resting or down for feet and clearance.

However, the other one pictured, when set I have the seat so when I stand, the bar is at my knees and I can rest against for any shots straight out in front. The bar has never been an issue in the 10 years I've hunted from one and I've taken alot of deer from an Ol'man.

Pertaining to your arrows, no the bar comes to the front. Again, has never been an issue in my shooting and it actually hugs ya, you cannot fall out of it.

http://www.olmanoutdoors.com/treestands.htm

http://www.biggameproshop.com/Olmantreestands.htm
Old 10-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the bar down. Thanks Rob.