Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 stategy help needed >

stategy help needed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stategy help needed

Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default stategy help needed

OK here's the deal. Tomorrow morning is opening day bow in NY southern tier.I hunt an area of about 350 acres,(25% hardwoods/another 15% scrub brush anda fewhedgerows. I have about 7 stands set up throughout. The largest % of the wood/scrub brush funnels down toward a seasonal road. This is on the north side of the property. There will probably be3 or 4hunters on this side of the road. They do not have any standsand often will just use my stands if I'm not there. They have permission to hunt the land as well as me, unfortunately. I live right across themain road from the land.

There is a road that devides my 350 acres with another 350 acres made up of a similar % of land. There will probably be 3 hunters on this side of the road as well. I have one stand set up on this side of the road as well in a very wide funnel/hedgerow (75 yds wide).

I was thinking I would set up on this side of the road in the wide hedgerow,hoping to catch the deer moving from one side or the other from the other hunters going in in the morning. Your thoughts?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: stategy help needed

I would find the travel route they take from the food source to a bedding area.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK here's the deal. Tomorrow morning is opening day bow in NY southern tier.I hunt an area of about 350 acres,(25% hardwoods/another 15% scrub brush anda fewhedgerows. I have about 7 stands set up throughout. The largest % of the wood/scrub brush funnels down toward a seasonal road. This is on the north side of the property. There will probably be3 or 4hunters on this side of the road. They do not have any standsand often will just use my stands if I'm not there. They have permission to hunt the land as well as me, unfortunately. I live right across themain road from the land.
For whats worth here in GA,Most of the sighting and deer being taken right now have been for the past couple weeksaround acorns! Whiteoak, ect...
If your trees up there that are dropping acorns? Thats where i would be!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

this property has no oaks at all. just some corn on the adjacent property.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

this property has no oaks at all. just some corn on the adjacent property.
Well that pretty much narrow`s down atleast one of the food sources if not the main one!.

(I would look for the thickest crap i could find? look for a few trail`s leading to and from that field).
Set up somewhere in between?