Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting in the rain... >

Bowhunting in the rain...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting in the rain...

Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting in the rain...

Just be sure to wear your rubbers.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Rain wont hurt ya, our skin is waterproof lol. Just be careful on downpour days, deer will bed down.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

I hunt in rain snow sleet. dont matter. The only thing i would tell people is in my experience if you use feathers the rain will saturate the feathers and slow the arrow down significantly. But with modern feathers not so much. And with my arrows from oak ridge archery donnie staggers the blazer zanes @1.5" from the back toward the front of the arrow. It helps stabilize the arrow and makes wind a non factor.
What's the difference between "modern" feathers and the older model feathers? Did the birds make an improvement to themover the past few years I wasn't aware of?(Sorry.... had to ask.)

Old 10-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I hunt in rain snow sleet. dont matter. The only thing i would tell people is in my experience if you use feathers the rain will saturate the feathers and slow the arrow down significantly. But with modern feathers not so much. And with my arrows from oak ridge archery donnie staggers the blazer zanes @1.5" from the back toward the front of the arrow. It helps stabilize the arrow and makes wind a non factor.
What's the difference between "modern" feathers and the older model feathers? Did the birds make an improvement to themover the past few years I wasn't aware of?(Sorry.... had to ask.)

Use trukey feathers and you wont have the problem. If you use chicken feathers, just spray them with silicone spray. Problem solved. When I use chicken feathers, I spray them with silicon because dew can colapse them as well a rain.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Use trukey feathers and you wont have the problem. If you use chicken feathers, just spray them with silicone spray. Problem solved. When I use chicken feathers, I spray them with silicon because dew can colapse them as well a rain.
Exactly some people dont know what type of feathers are being put on there arrows. And also high poundage bows shouldnt use feathers anyway, the fletchings collapse on release and there is no stabilization. for a good 10 yards. Trust me try to find some high speed footage of feathers. they collapse and you get sort of an archers paradox in a way.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly some people dont know what type of feathers are being put on there arrows. And also high poundage bows shouldnt use feathers anyway, the fletchings collapse on release and there is no stabilization. for a good 10 yards. Trust me try to find some high speed footage of feathers. they collapse and you get sort of an archers paradox in a way.
What??? I've never heard of that before. I doubt that!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Neither have I, Schultzy, especially since I shot feathers last year out of my 70# Drenalin. They steered broadheads better than the blazers I'm using now. Another thing.... on the wet feathers issue... I tested that theory last year with the following results:

1. Wet feathers still steer a broadhead just fine.
2.Wetfeathers don't slow the arrow down much at all if any. (As soon as all of that stored energy hits the arrow, the water that is in the feather is left behind in a cloud of mist.)
Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

If you shoot another one with the Rage you won't have to worry about tracking!
Amen to that. All 3 deer I've shot with the 2-blade have gone less than 30yds. 2 of them less than 15yds.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 AM

Quick Reply: Bowhunting in the rain...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.