Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting in the rain... >

Bowhunting in the rain...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting in the rain...

Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting in the rain...

I do hunt a light rain but usually when bowhunting I try to avoid the rain because water washes away blood.. Even good blood... But if it's all the time ya got and especailly if the showers are widely scattered.. Your call.. Good Luck...
Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually like hunting in the rain cause the deer don't hear you if you walk slow. About the shot,I guess if you made a heat lung or liver shot you should have no problem.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

You guys all say IF your makea perfect shot. I would not shoot 1 while it was raining because I couldnt make myself 100% positive that the shot will be perfect.
Maybe you should re-evaluate yourself as a bowhunter. If you don't have 100% confidence on every shot that you are about to take then you shouldn't be bowhunting. Yes mistakes happen. We all have lost deer, me included. But, not once was I not confident in myself when I took the shot. When you start doubting yourself you start making mistakes. Plain and simple.

I myself love hunting in the rain. Not down pours but just and nice soft rain to a steady drizzle. I have seen some freak nasty monsters on a light drizzlingfoggy day. This is when the bucks seem to be the most active in the scraping phase. They really get out cruising and freshing up rub and scrape lines. These are some of my favorite conditions to hunt in. Of course I did spend two days in the hospital in '02 for pnemonia for hunting in these conditions for a solid week in 40 degree weather. My fiance at the time did not see the humor in it.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 PM

I'll hunt in a light/moderate rain. I just put on a raingear top and head out. If it's a downpour, I can't wait.

As far as shooting, it will cause my range to decrease a little. I won't shoot past 20 or 25 yards. Also the water makes my feathers sag and go kinda flat. Even though I don't think it affects arrow flight, it still bothers me[&:]
Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

You guys all say IF your makea perfect shot. I would not shoot 1 while it was raining because I couldnt make myself 100% positive that the shot will be perfect.
Maybe you should re-evaluate yourself as a bowhunter. If you don't have 100% confidence on every shot that you are about to take then you shouldn't be bowhunting. Yes mistakes happen. We all have lost deer, me included. But, not once was I not confident in myself when I took the shot. When you start doubting yourself you start making mistakes. Plain and simple.
What is your point in saying this? The guy is saying he wouldn't be totally confident in the shot, so he won't take it. That is definatly moreadmirable than making a shot he is not sure of.

So if I ask you to take a 150 yard shot on a deer, and you say you aren't confident with that. Should you "re-evaluate" yourself as a bowhunter?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

I myself love hunting in the rain. Not down pours but just and nice soft rain to a steady drizzle. I have seen some freak nasty monsters on a light drizzlingfoggy day. This is when the bucks seem to be the most active in the scraping phase. They really get out cruising and freshing up rub and scrape lines. These are some of my favorite conditions to hunt in. Of course I did spend two days in the hospital in '02 for pnemonia for hunting in these conditions for a solid week in 40 degree weather. My fiance at the time did not see the humor in it.
I gotta agree with BT360 for once. Stuff happens man, realizing this and passin on a shot before taking it is called being responsible....certainly doesnt constitute a bad hunter.

I am 100% confident at 45 yards that I could hit a deer, but would I take that shot? No. I am 100% confident that rain or shine, a deer at 25 yards is a dead one...but what about the little unseen branches? The deer than drops from being on pins and needles? stuff can happen to make a bad hit, heavy rain just insures the unlikelihood of you recovering a deer in these type situations.

Sure a slam dunk double lungpass throughand you dont need a bloodtrail to find the deer, but that isnt always the outcome.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

What is your point in saying this? The guy is saying he wouldn't be totally confident in the shot, so he won't take it. That is definatly moreadmirable than making a shot he is not sure of.

So if I ask you to take a 150 yard shot on a deer, and you say you aren't confident with that. Should you "re-evaluate" yourself as a bowhunter?
Try to be realistic here OKbowhunter. Please try. This is not a slam on Bowtech 360. We should be 100% confident on every shot that we take. If not we are failing ourselves and the game that we are pursuing. Sure there are little twigs and branches that we do not see after we take a shot. But, if your not confident to begin with your going to make more mistakes then hitting the unseen twig.

Take me hunting OKbowhunter. When I step out of your truck to head to my stand I'm going to tell you that I'm not confident in my shooting. I want to see the look on your face! I think your missing the point here.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go duck hunting in the rain. bad juju to shoot a deer in the rain. no blood trail.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:10 AM

i personally love hunting in the rain, i always see deer moving. now this is not a thunderstorm of course but when its a steady all day rain i love it. you can get in and out quietly, your scent is way down. You have to be careful and watch extra close though cause you wont here them coming. As far as the shot, shoot as you would on a regular day, dont think to much about having to make a perfect shot, just react. also using crimson tallon broad heads will eliminate tracking cause youll see'em fall down.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in rain snow sleet. dont matter. The only thing i would tell people is in my experience if you use feathers the rain will saturate the feathers and slow the arrow down significantly. But with modern feathers not so much. And with my arrows from oak ridge archery donnie staggers the blazer zanes @1.5" from the back toward the front of the arrow. It helps stabilize the arrow and makes wind a non factor.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting in the rain...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.