Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first Elk hunt experience with pictures >

My first Elk hunt experience with pictures

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first Elk hunt experience with pictures

Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My first Elk hunt experience with pictures

Guys , i could not have had a better time if i tried ( unless i got the Kill )

Here is the storyof my experinces ,good and bad

DAY 1

On arrival at Denver Airport we were met By Will ( iamyourHuckleberry ) , after making our way to the truck and unloading our gear we headed straight to the Bass Pro Shop for some candy shopping and our tags . All i can say is WOW , that is one amazing store . The mounts , the gear and equipment that store has is unbelievable . After shopping we headed to Wills wonderfulhouse and family , where we were made to feel right at home . After a shower and some dinner , we were shown our rooms and crashed out almost straight away .

DAY 2

Will has to work today and is hooking up at camp later .
After Garywent withWill to work to get the other truck , we have breakfast just before Cavan , kasey and Billy Sullivan arrive . We get to know each other a little before loading up and setting off to the Camp in the Mountains , I go with Kasey and Billy in their truck , while Cavan and Gary set off in Wills other truck . The scenery on the way is breath taking and only gets better the further we go into the mountains.
2 1/2 hours later we arrive at camp and realise we are really being looked after when we meet Jerry ( Wills friend ) and he hands camp over to us , after showing us around Jerry leaves us to it until the rest of the hunters arrive . We have a Double Bull toilet , hot shower , cooking area and 2 seperate sleeping tents with heating .
Later that Afternoon Mike and Randy Sullivan arrive , Will arrives later with 2 ATV's and we instantly start to shoot the ...t around camp . As we are all tired by 10pm , we hit the sack ready for morning when we start to hunt .

DAY 3

5:00am we are all awake and eating breakfast provided by Mike and Randy , while going over maps and topo's . I go out with Cavan and Kasey to 11,000ft ( seeing a nice Muley buck on the way ) . After sorting a plan we set off through the tight Forestry and shortly after we bump a nice Elk at 60yds away , we carry on to the Bowl which is our hunt destination for the day . We see sign all around , but nothing shows and after lying up all day we set off back through the Forest . Stopping every now and again and setting up , trying to draw something out with the hoochie mama . As it gets late we call it a day and head off back down to camp for a late dinner and see how everybody else went on . There is high hopes for the next day , we'll see .

Old 10-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My first Elk hunt experience

And...?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

As the sun arose on day 4 we all.................
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jim,

I had the lad for nine days. I want to see how he finishes this...

I surely hope he mentions the several elk which he nearly stepped on! Moreover, I hope he discusseshis newly earned trail name: "radioboy" (radios do not work when you're lost 15 miles from the nearest partner's radio). LOL...Dave was a blast to hunt with though!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

As the sun arose on day 4 we all.................
realized radio contact with my party had been lost and getting close to elk is not as difficult for me as others have noted.[:-]

this better?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great pics!!

What were the 4 wheelers for?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Day 4

After Breakfast we try again , this time at 11,640ft . After 500yds something catches our eye through the tree's , we crep and a huge cow is seen and we slow our pace . We lose sight for a while , but she then suddenly bursts from cover and trots away . Cavan drops 100yds and we work the hillside parralel to eachother , but do not see her again . We carry on to the Bowl again , where we set-up in the timberline and i try to attract someting out with the Bugle . This does not work , so we climb to 12'000ft and glass the hillside and timberline while resting .

We see and hear nothing , so before it goes to dark , we set off back to the timberline hoping to catch something .No sooner said than done , the mother of Thunder and lightening storms kicks off and we are in the middle of it on a ridge and surrounded by trees that have been hit previously by lightening . So we make a hasty retreat through one heck of a hale stormand dimming light , it was very slippy under foot and were glad to make it backto the truck . After getting back to camp , we eat and carry on taking the wet out of each other .

left to right :- Randy , Tim (Poopy) , Jeff , Cavan , Kasey , Will , Mike , Billy and Gary .

DAY 5

Allowing Kasey and Cavan to shoot with Billy ( Cavan's Dad ) , i set off up the mountain on my own on the ATV . I see nor hear anything all morning , so go back to camp to warm up and grab a PB&J sandwich ready for a late aftrenoon hunt . Again this proves uneventful .

Day 6

I set off on the ATV again , but try a different area and immediately run into fresh sign's of activity . I slowly made my way through the timber as quiet as possible , seeing fresh sign everywhere heading towards the ridge . as i reach the top i found a connifer that had bneen beaten up by a Bull .

I tried to call back whatever was in front of me . Knowing Tim was further across the ridge i stopped and hunted my area , hoping Tim would Catch them his way .
The rest of my day was uneventful , so i called it a day and dropped to camp . Where i see Tim and sure enough , he had run into a big bull .

DAY 7

Today i get chance to hunt with Will and sure enough , he gets us between the Elk almost straightaway . After hearing a Bugle about 150 yds away , we head off in the same direction. Dropping to get down wind we hear the bugle again at 100yds , so we go into silent stalk. After 15minutes we were both startled to see ahuge cow stand up 8yds in front of us , we stood stiff unableto do anything . She watched for what seemed like 10 seconds , but probably 2 secondsand then she bolted taking a huge bull which was 10 yds behind hercrashing through thetimber [:@]. After 10 minutes of cursing profanities we carried on and spot a Bigbull with a heard of 5 cows 6yds through the timber , but unable to get a clear shot and creep closer without startling themwe carry on . 2hours later we get thecall of BULL DOWNoff Cavan , we are approximately 500ft lower on the same slope . So we head directly up the Lung bursting slope and after 25 minutes we locate them and the bull , which he is already preparing for carryout .

Cavan had waited 3 years to fill his tag and thoroughly deserved it , he put in some real hard persistant hunting .
So after preparing , it was time to haul it 1 mile out to the truck and i can only say OMG . I got the pleasure of carrying outa rear hind leg , them things over 1 mile finish feeling like a 1tonne weight . Then i had to return to carry out the off cuts , which alone weighed around the 50lb mark . I found Will carrying it along with 2 backpacks , so i too the backpack and Jeff who had found us carried the meat . We took it in turns to carry it out , as it was very unstable and dead weight . Cavan carried out the cape and trophy

After stripping the meat and putting it in freezer boxes , Cavan , Billy and Kasey had to leave and we took pictures, shared emails and had Dinner before they setoff home . John in the next Camp got a 7x6 bulltoo so we took pictures of both bulls and the hunting crew together . ( picture at the close of story ) . At the same time as Cavan , Billy and Kasey going , Mark Johnson and Jim Capone turned up to join camp and filled the empty spaces . I can only say that camp soon became a very funny place to be ( not that is was'nt anyway ), Mark has buckets of Character and Jim had some funny stories to tell .

DAY 8

After a dull and uneventful morning i retreat to camp to hit the traget range to find my bow shooting 9" below ( must of hit someting while carrying Cavans bull out ) , so i set it back up in the sun . Later that day myself , Will , Gary , Tim and Jeff go to Wills other house just passed leadville (WOW ,nice place ), for a much needed shower ( we were getting sick of the flies ) and we met Wills sister too ...and her Trophy mounts , she 's a very good hunter is all i can say) .
Upon getting back to camp , we camo up again to search another area . Which proves to be a good place , so we return the next day to huntit hard .

DAY 9

Myself and Tim are dropped off with a direction to follow and Gary along with Will get out further up the track , its not long bfore we hear bugling and the game is on to be the next to fill their tag . I get closer and closer to the bugling , until i come up to an open meadow and have to go the long way around it . Only to find myself in front of another open meadow with a bull bugling on the opposite side , so i have to go the long way again . Just as i reach thetop of the meadow Knackered , i see 2 bulls and 5 cows go straight through the middle of it . I turn on my heals and start to sprint through the timber while keeping an eye on the heard , trying to cut them off back down the hill i just came up . I was keeping level with them until i got to the bottom, where they went into the timber . Unable to close the gap , i stop to try a cow call and draw them across to me . After 25mins unable to draw them off track , i make my way back up the mountain . 30 minutes later i bump a bull bedded in thick timber and he crashes through the forest [:@], feeling p....d i head for high ground and bump into Tim . We chat and then rest till afternoon , when we wake we hear a bull bugle and immediately gave chase . We realise he is getting further awayand split to go our own ways , both choosing to go after the loud bull . After 3 more hours we all meet back at the truck and swap stories , then head off back to camp .

Day 10

With 7 of us hunting the same area as the previous day armed with radio's , hopes are high and we all get dropped off in seperate places ( mine being the same as the day before ) . I take a bearing on my Compass and set off following North East bearing , i later realise none of it is familiar and look for an opening to get another bearing off . I try the radio but am told by an unfamiliar voice to keep the radio quiet , thinkin one of our crew are onto a bull i head on the same bearing to an opening and rest in the sun . When i wake , i reverse my bearing and head back . After 70 yds i get a strong smell of Elk and creep down wind of the scent , i find a load of fallen timbers and look closely for movement . I see movement and come to full draw on what looks like a bulls rack , i move to get better angle when a twig snaps . At that time a Huge bull jumps up 15yds to my right , its safe to say i crapped myself good and proper . My draw diped and i struggld to get it back , by which time big bull was heading directly away from me up a steep slope. I gave chase , but could nowhere near match his pace , i almost dropped to my knee's with a tear in my eye . No way would i get another chance like that again , i was gutted to say the least . After gathering myself i headed off on my bearing again , but as i went on nothing looked familiar . It was at this point i thought i may havelost my bearing , i tried the radio and got no reply . As i looked at my compass the needle was moving 120 degrees and could not be sure which direction to head , i retraced the bulls hoof prints and took another bearing this time it headed down the the hill to a steep slope which looked familiar and headed off . On reaching the slope , it looked familiar and i followed my bearing . When i next looked at my compass , it was going crazy again . This time i headed straight down the mountain to get off and eventually meet up with the road ( its safe to say i was crapping it by now ) , finding the remains of an old Cabin on my way .

I also saw my first porcupine too , eventually i came upon the road ( 3 miles down from the truck . On arriving back at the truck i found Will , who had been trying to get me on the radio all day . After telling him about the compass and not getting any message over the radio , we came to conclusion it was the high ridges and iron in the mountain fowling up my compass . Shortly after we gat a call Tim may of hit a bull , but could not find any sign or arrowandthen shortly after that , Gary gave the same call . Later both found arrows with no blood , so we all went back to hunting i stayed within close proximity to the river for good bearing . it soon became dark and we all headed back to the truck and back to camp to swap stories and reflect on the days events .

I was renamed that night to "Radioboy" , which is now my camp name due to my lack of hearing any of the many messages i was sent . Iwas out of range honest .

DAY 11

Last hunt day

The whole event was catching up with me and i slept in to help Will , Mark , Jim and Jeff pack camp ,while Gary and Tim headed off for a short hunt . By 12:00 midday the camp was dropped and packed away and we were haeading off back down the mountains to Will's house , that night we ate at Famous Dave's along with Will's Family and then the guys sat and watched Jeremiah Johnson .
That meal and film finished off what i can only class as the greatest outdoor experience ever .

FINAL DAY

Will and Mary had to go work , Dani and Cory were at school , so me and Gary sat and watched the hunting channel all day and got our bags ready for leaving that night . When Will got back , we loaded the truck and called in at Gander Mtn and Bass Pro shop again for a final shop and i got a load of Hunter Dan for the Kids and other souveniers and prezzies .
We also met the stunning Keli Van Cleave in Bass Pro , its safe to say i like her a lot . She may be coming over to UK to hunt with Gary , I'll tag a long for entertainment .
After a good chat to Keli we had to make our way to the airport and depart , we said goodbyes , caught our flight and now i'm back ... Readying myself for a return trip in 2011 . Due to other commitments i need to sort out , but next time the result will be different .

Whats left is to thank all who have madeMyself ( Radioboy )and Gary feel so welcome and at home on our first trip to the states

Back row left to right :- Gary , Radioboy , Tim , Jeff , Randy , Will , Jim , Kasey and Billy
Bottom Row Left to Right :- Mike , Mark and Cavan ...
oh L to R :- 5x5 and 6x7 too .
Thanks to CavanandKasey for taking me out on the first few daysand sharing their experience
Thanks Billy for for being so friendly and giving us lots of infoonCavan , which allowed us to take the wet out of Him relentlessly .
Thanks to Randy and Mike for your hilariously funny stories , which had us i stitches every night and for cooking breakfast every morning and especially for inviting me to hunt Whitetail with you in Illinois..
Thanks to Mark and Jimmy , who are a great comedy act ... aswell as great hunters too .
Thanks to Tim and Jeff , whoshared experience and stories . I'd hunt with either of these guys anytime . Tim , next time i'd keep sometings to yourself mate ... Poopy
Thanks to Wills family for putting up with us while we were at the house .
Thanks to Will especially , without his kind offer and hospitality this trip would never have been possible . You are a true Gentleman and will be back to hunt with you again in the future for sure .

PS . Thanks Gary for making the waits and journeys enjoyable and for gettingus drunk at the airport and sharing the Pixie stories which evtertained everybody night after night .

Last but not least , i found the American ladies very likeable .
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Schultzy.

The ATV's allowed us all to go on our own if we chose to and also get into places the trucks could not get
Old 10-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like you guys had a good time!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds awesome!

Quick Reply: My first Elk hunt experience with pictures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.