HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Put my cousin on his first bowkill!!! Story and pics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/265442-put-my-cousin-his-first-bowkill-story-pics.html)

NCRemington700 09-29-2008 08:32 AM

Put my cousin on his first bowkill!!! Story and pics

Well it finally happened for my cousin this past Saturday. Welcome another member to the bowhunting family. A little background...

He bought his bow towards the middle of last season. He practiced all the time to prepar for a hunt with me. At the time he lived in SC and I lived in NC. Fast forward to 2 weeks before Christmas this past year. I set him up in my stand and I got in my climber about 20 yards away. We had a couple does come in around 8am. I made sure he picked out the larger of the 2. He shot her high. We trailed her for probably a mile. I'm convinced that he high her in the loins now. 3 of us looked for hours. Later that afternoon we were back in the same stand. We had a young doe come in right at dark. He shot, and hit her. It was hard for me to tell exactly where he hit her but according to the sign we found...we backed out and decided to wait till morning to track. After about 45 minutes of following the blood...we found the scene of the crime. Coyotes and got to her before us and all that was left was her tail and tuffs of hair. We were sick. That happens unfortunately.

Ok, so now to this season. I have moved down to SC and now we live much closer to each other. We went to my farm Saturday a week ago. I again put him in the best stand so he could hopefully get his first deer on the dirt. I told him where they would come from and sure enough...they did. He had the green light to shoot whatever he wanted. 2 spikes came out around 7:15 but he didn't feel comfortable with the shot. I had to rag him for not shooting but I happy he didn't shoot if he didn't feel good about the shot. Several more deer showed up but no other shot presented itself. This past Saturday he was again perched in the same stand. Around 6:30 I get a text from him saying he had just missed a doe at 30 yards and she was still standing at 40! I text him back saying "Stop texting me and watch her!" She walked off. About 20 minutes later I get a text that he had shot a doe!! Whoo hoo! I was so happy for him. I waited about 30 minutes and headed his way. We slowly followed the blood trail and found her piled up. He was sooooo happy. I don't know who was happier...me or him!! We field dressed her and I made HIM drag her out! You kill it, you drag it right!? I was a great cheerleader for him dragging! I'm so pumped for him. He is bit by the bug now! After the 2 mishaps last season, whata relief for him to get his first. I'm so proud of him!! Here's a couple of pics after the looooong drag across the bean field.

solocamcan 09-29-2008 08:44 AM

RE: Put my cousin on his first bowkill!!! Story and pics

Nice skinhead.

John Deer 09-29-2008 08:45 AM

Congratulations!

bawanajim 09-29-2008 08:47 AM

Thats a good story and some great pictures, it feels to be part of another's success.

Bullet Hole Bailey 09-29-2008 08:47 AM

CONGRATS!!!

HoosierHunter79 09-29-2008 08:48 AM

congrats!

NCRemington700 09-29-2008 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Thats a good story and some great pictures, it feels to be part of another's success.
No doubt Jim. Being there for that was a great feeling for me.

Rory/MO 09-29-2008 09:35 AM

Nice! Congrats to him!

OHbowhntr 09-29-2008 09:39 AM

Congrats to you and him, I did the same Saturday morning, and my buddy's hooked now. He's never been in the woods during archery season before, and on his first morning in the woods, not 20minutes into a sit, he WHACKED a little spike. We sat and talked about it for a while as he was still buzzing from the excitement, and then picked up the trail after about 45 minutes, and found the little fella piled up aonly about 80-100yds from where he WHACKED him. I knew he went down, because I heard it, but he wasn't so sure. So it was fun for me to watch him track and then jump for joy when he saw him!!! Great job getting him out there to share our sport!!!!

HuntingBry 09-29-2008 09:58 AM

Congrats to the both of you. That is great that he finally got it done. Good job!