Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 One of the biggest >

One of the biggest

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One of the biggest

Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM

Default One of the biggest

bone head things I ever did was last year.. I shot my Muzzy into the target for a practice shot before going into the woods for a hunt, ok then i see a doe in range and shoot and miss! well I get another arrow out and shoot her at 15 yds when she stops with the damn broadhead I had been practicing with for several months!!! It was the real thing, but DULLLLLLLL!! Anyway, the deer ran 35 yds and dropped after the arrow went clean through her... I was lucky.... make sure you don't do this!!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One of the biggest

[:-][:-][:-][:-]
Old 09-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

bone head things I ever did was last year.. I shot my Muzzy into the target for a practice shot before going into the woods for a hunt, ok then i see a doe in range and shoot and miss! well I get another arrow out and shoot her at 15 yds when she stops with the damn broadhead I had been practicing with for several months!!! It was the real thing, but DULLLLLLLL!! Anyway, the deer ran 35 yds and dropped after the arrow went clean through her... I was lucky.... make sure you don't do this!!
Don't get me wrong, because I don't advocate DULL blades, but unless they were REALLY DULL, they will still usually do the job, as you now know. I have several BH's that have been in my MDL target nearly 60-70x, and they are still SHARP enough I won't play with them, and the ST actually took a little skin off of my finger the other day when I was switching it from one arrow to another, and it probably has 100 trips into that foam!!!! Not saying it's the one I'll head to the woods with, because it's not, but I'm pretty sure it WOULD do the job!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

G5 makes a little carbide sharpener that works great on BH's....and it's cheap enough.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 AM

i did something like that but i didnt practice WAY STUPID I CAN ADMIT IT...grim reapers went out missed (thank god) could have made a crappy hit the broad head dosnt fly true to my bow so i have to adjust fire...i know what your think DUMBA$$

im only saying this so the next guy does not do it
Old 09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know for a fact that Muzzy "practice" blades will kill a deer just as dead as the real thing...

My advice... don't even have them in the quiver.... its far too easy, in the heat of the moment, to grab an arrow out of your quiver and never pay any mind to the blades on the head.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, just for this reason, I have one arrow that I keep at home with the practice head on, that way, I cant make this same mistake.[8D]
Old 09-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just use one broadhead for tuning, and only tuning, but I change rests and sights and when I retune I hit the ground with it a few times, so it's pretty dull. But I keep it in a little archery box and it's only on an arrow while I'm tuning.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:16 PM

I guess I just put itin my quiver by habit and went on....won't do it again... but yeh this head had at least 125 shots on it, and it went through like a hot knife through butter, but then again it was a small doe and I was pulling 73# with the ol X force at 15 yds, not that big a deal.. but lesson is learned for sure!