Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does this bother you? >

Does this bother you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does this bother you?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does this bother you?

I stopped by Gander Mountain today to pick up some more fletching glue. There are a few more things I need, but the "Gander Jam" with Mike Waddell and some country artists is this weekend and there is supposed to be some serious sales. (Notice to all Central PA'ers)

Anyhow, back to my point/ complaint. I get up the register and I see this guy with a cart. In it is a new Bear bow, no accessories, and a ton of Deer Cane. In PA, we have to have any form of bait up and out 30 days before season. (Oct 4th) It just burns me that while I am practicing safe ethical hunting, this moron is buying a new bow, that needs acc and set up as well as shot. And then is gonna go out and chum the waters.

Does this bother other "non bait" staters?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does this bother you?

Ben--I see where you are coming from but I really don't care about that stuff. For all we know the guy is a world class shooter and is using the cane in his backyard to take pictures.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

very much so . every year i come across people buying bows a few days or even after the season has started and are going out that weekend hunting with it. one guy i saw had the peep dangling off the string and when i told him he had no idea about it and could care less he was determined to shoot a buck that week end . there are some very clueless people out there
Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't bother me.Life is too short to worry about what someone else is doing right or wrong in your eyes.I get a kick out of the Wal Mart crowd the night before season though.

Besides,you have no idea if he is breaking any laws.He may be using it in another state or like mentioned above,in his back yard.

As far as buying a bow a couple days before season.I wouldn't be worried about doing that myself so it is quite possible he knows what he is doing OR is getting it for a back up because he got a good deal.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I wouldn't think too much into it. Last year the local shop was having a sale so I stopped in after workto buy 2 bags of Buck Grub they were selling at $8 each. I was going to use it to make my mineral lick that I mix myself. As I'm walking out in my work duds (dress shirt, slacks, and dress shoes) this guy sees me, looks at what's in my hand and let's out an audible chuckle. I'm sure he was thinking to himself, "Look at this city slicker thinking all he's gotta do is sprinkle some of that stuff on the ground and he'll shoot a booner. Whata tool."

Meanwhile, it was fora purpose that has nothing to do with baiting, is a great scouting tool, and something he probably wouldn't be willing to put the work into and that I've got over 20 years in the woods.

Just remember perceptions aren't always what they seem.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

I stopped by Gander Mountain today to pick up some more fletching glue. There are a few more things I need, but the "Gander Jam" with Mike Waddell and some country artists is this weekend and there is supposed to be some serious sales. (Notice to all Central PA'ers)

Anyhow, back to my point/ complaint. I get up the register and I see this guy with a cart. In it is a new Bear bow, no accessories, and a ton of Deer Cane. In PA, we have to have any form of bait up and out 30 days before season. (Oct 4th) It just burns me that while I am practicing safe ethical hunting, this moron is buying a new bow, that needs acc and set up as well as shot. And then is gonna go out and chum the waters.

While I agree with you about the baiting, lousy excuse to get in the woods, I stronly disagree with you about someone joining archery and being looked down upon.

Referring to them as a moron reveals that you have quite the superiority complex. My brother, who is not a moron, went out bought a bow about a month before the season last year and was effecient enough to hunt with it the first day. In fact, he made an EXCELLENT double lung shot on a fat doe on about his third hunt, I mean perfect shot.

So instead of thinking of yourself as this big bad hunter, drop the ego for a sec. and welcome someone who just wants to hunt.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Ihear you ben, I'm with you.I would have said something to him while in line!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

While I agree with you about the baiting, lousy excuse to get in the woods, I stronly disagree with you about someone joining archery and being looked down upon.

Referring to them as a moron reveals that you have quite the superiority complex. My brother, who is not a moron, went out bought a bow about a month before the season last year and was effecient enough to hunt with it the first day. In fact, he made an EXCELLENT double lung shot on a fat doe on about his third hunt, I mean perfect shot.

So instead of thinking of yourself as this big bad hunter, drop the ego for a sec. and welcome someone who just wants to hunt.
Apparently you know nothing about Ben. Maybe you need to get off your high horse cause your doing exactly what your accusing Ben of doing. He was there, you were not. He may have over heard the guy speak. He may have pegged him exactly and PA doesn't need this type of hunter if Ben pegged him.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ben
Living in PA you have to learn to let things roll off your back cause WAY too many illegal actions go on & it would drive a perosn insane. I keep my head forward and just go do my thing.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Rob its a PA thing, we have the worlds "Boone & Crockett class" of morons.
The only reason the guy didn't have a sight was he will probably shoot the deer at night with a rifle any way.

Quick Reply: Does this bother you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.