Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does this bother you? >

Does this bother you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does this bother you?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does this bother you?

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

I stopped by Gander Mountain today to pick up some more fletching glue. There are a few more things I need, but the "Gander Jam" with Mike Waddell and some country artists is this weekend and there is supposed to be some serious sales. (Notice to all Central PA'ers)

Anyhow, back to my point/ complaint. I get up the register and I see this guy with a cart. In it is a new Bear bow, no accessories, and a ton of Deer Cane. In PA, we have to have any form of bait up and out 30 days before season. (Oct 4th) It just burns me that while I am practicing safe ethical hunting, this moron is buying a new bow, that needs acc and set up as well as shot. And then is gonna go out and chum the waters.

Does this bother other "non bait" staters?
While I agree with you about the baiting, lousy excuse to get in the woods, I stronly disagree with you about someone joining archery and being looked down upon.

Referring to them as a moron reveals that you have quite the superiority complex. My brother, who is not a moron, went out bought a bow about a month before the season last year and was effecient enough to hunt with it the first day. In fact, he made an EXCELLENT double lung shot on a fat doe on about his third hunt, I mean perfect shot.

So instead of thinking of yourself as this big bad hunter, drop the ego for a sec. and welcome someone who just wants to hunt.
Apparently you know nothing about Ben. Maybe you need to get off your high horse cause your doing exactly what your accusing Ben of doing. He was there, you were not. He may have over heard the guy speak. He may have pegged him exactly and PA doesn't need this type of hunter if Ben pegged him.
I was thinking the same thing. Ben's not trying to imply he's a superior hunter, he's just pointing out some things he saw in the store that bothered him. He has his concerns, and they're justifiable in my opinion. Like Rob said, if you met Ben you would realize he's a stand up guy, and certainly not on a high horse.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

I stopped by Gander Mountain today to pick up some more fletching glue. There are a few more things I need, but the "Gander Jam" with Mike Waddell and some country artists is this weekend and there is supposed to be some serious sales. (Notice to all Central PA'ers)

Anyhow, back to my point/ complaint. I get up the register and I see this guy with a cart. In it is a new Bear bow, no accessories, and a ton of Deer Cane. In PA, we have to have any form of bait up and out 30 days before season. (Oct 4th) It just burns me that while I am practicing safe ethical hunting, this moron is buying a new bow, that needs acc and set up as well as shot. And then is gonna go out and chum the waters.

Does this bother other "non bait" staters?
While I agree with you about the baiting, lousy excuse to get in the woods, I stronly disagree with you about someone joining archery and being looked down upon.

Referring to them as a moron reveals that you have quite the superiority complex. My brother, who is not a moron, went out bought a bow about a month before the season last year and was effecient enough to hunt with it the first day. In fact, he made an EXCELLENT double lung shot on a fat doe on about his third hunt, I mean perfect shot.

So instead of thinking of yourself as this big bad hunter, drop the ego for a sec. and welcome someone who just wants to hunt.
Apparently you know nothing about Ben. Maybe you need to get off your high horse cause your doing exactly what your accusing Ben of doing. He was there, you were not. He may have over heard the guy speak. He may have pegged him exactly and PA doesn't need this type of hunter if Ben pegged him.
Obviously I don't, it's rather tough to know anything about anyone through a medium such as this. And, I'm not sure how I'm doing the exact same thing I accused him of doing? If you could illustrate that then I may stand corrected.

But it's just the same vibe I get from hunters who shun crossbow hunters. Many bowhunters think that it is their sport and anyone who does not follow their lead is looked down upon, I have expereinced this first hand a number of times on this site and in thie forum. I guess that's why it hit me so tough. But I don't agree with a lot of hunter's practices but never do I look down upon them. I gave a speech in speech class today saying the exact same thing. When it comes down to it we are all hunters, regardless of whether or not we bait, bowhunt, gunhunt or throw spears.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Ben
Living in PA you have to learn to let things roll off your back cause WAY too many illegal actions go on & it would drive a perosn insane. I keep my head forward and just go do my thing.
I try to rybo....I know what you mean. Tonight it just bothered me.

Rockin Chair, as i sit here, I have a bow on my lap. It is for a friend, who has been using my poor hand me down. I found him a great 05 Parker at a real good price. He won't shoot it until the 24th. Will he be ready? Yes, if he is not, I won't let him hunt with it. The season starts the 4th. I am well aware that one can become efficient in a hurry. I assure you, the hunter/baiter to be was not giving off the impression that he was gonna put 500+ arrows through that thing in the next 3 weeks.

You are right, I should not have spoke down to him, I should have asked him if he had a range or wanted help setting it up. Thanks for the reality check.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

When it comes down to it we are all hunters, regardless of whether or not we bait, bowhunt, gunhunt or throw spears.
Not the ones who bait in PA

As far as crossbows...you won't catch me banging on them. With my shoulders, I very well my be using one someday to stay in this game that I love. And that is why I got upset tonight, I love this game and hate to see it tainted.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds to me like Ben should have said something to the fellow himself rather than get on here and lambast him behind his back

p.s. is there any possibility that this guy is a world class archer who just wants a little bow on the side to do some hunting with? Ya never know, this man may be hitting pennies at 100 yards and has a plethora of accessories laying at home waiting to be used[&:]
Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Ben
Living in PA you have to learn to let things roll off your back cause WAY too many illegal actions go on & it would drive a perosn insane. I keep my head forward and just go do my thing.
I try to rybo....I know what you mean. Tonight it just bothered me.

Rockin Chair, as i sit here, I have a bow on my lap. It is for a friend, who has been using my poor hand me down. I found him a great 05 Parker at a real good price. He won't shoot it until the 24th. Will he be ready? Yes, if he is not, I won't let him hunt with it. The season starts the 4th. I am well aware that one can become efficient in a hurry. I assure you, the hunter/baiter to be was not giving off the impression that he was gonna put 500+ arrows through that thing in the next 3 weeks.

You are right, I should not have spoke down to him, I should have asked him if he had a range or wanted help setting it up. Thanks for the reality check.
I see that you posted this RIGHT after I made my post above yours. I dont know if you read it or not, but just see the part about bein looked down on for hunting with a crossbow. Like I said I guess that's why it struck a nerve with me.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Ben--I see where you are coming from but I really don't care about that stuff. For all we know the guy is a world class shooter and is using the cane in his backyard to take pictures.
Well, maybe but Ben probably was correct in his assumption.

What kills me is that baiting is illegal in VA from Sept 1st-well through the end of season but every damn store around sells "deer" corn, salt blocks, deer cane, etc throughout the entire season.

Have some of you guys been to a store (Wal-mart, Sportsman's, Gander, etc) the night before season opener. It really is a sad sight.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

sounds to me like Ben should have said something to the fellow himself rather than get on here and lambast him behind his back

p.s. is there any possibility that this guy is a world class archer who just wants a little bow on the side to do some hunting with? Ya never know, this man may be hitting pennies at 100 yards and has a plethora of accessories laying at home waiting to be used[&:]
I think that I would take that bet wahoo. I guess I should have just kept my fat fingers shut!! I was more upset by the bait than by the bow. It drives me nuts, as someone who supplements the deer herd with minerals all year and has to drive all over to find such things outside of hunting season. A month before hunting season, when by law all such substances in PA are required to be out of the woods, you can't walk through walmart, gander, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc without falling over it. You can say well, they are national companies, but they pay enough attention to know that there are still tons of people buyingand using the stuff even though its against the law.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that guy had to steep to those levels and just prove that he really is not capable of killing a deer on legal terms, then that just shows what kind of person he is. Take pride in knowing your better than him.

And yes, that stuff bugs the hell out of me.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

I think that I would take that bet wahoo. I guess I should have just kept my fat fingers shut!! I was more upset by the bait than by the bow. It drives me nuts, as someone who supplements the deer herd with minerals all year and has to drive all over to find such things outside of hunting season. A month before hunting season, when by law all such substances in PA are required to be out of the woods, you can't walk through walmart, gander, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc without falling over it. You can say well, they are national companies, but they pay enough attention to know that there are still tons of people buyingand using the stuff even though its against the law.
Maybe they are coming down here to 5c and 5d where baiting is legal.

I know exactly what you mean. I remember when Crimson Talons came out and they were illegal in PA, yet Cabelas in Hamburg which is pretty much in the center of the state was selling them. If they are illegal for 100 miles in any direction why carry them?[&:]

Quick Reply: Does this bother you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.