Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem >

Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Okay all you experts out there, help me out.
For some reason I'm having trouble getting my broadheads to hit with and group like my field points. With the FPs I can put 4 in the target with all of the shafts touching each other...exactly where I aim. With my BHs, they are shooting left by about 6" and not grouping nearly as tight as my FPs.
This was not a problem last year and I have not changed a single thing.
If it matters, I'm shooting Muzzy, 100 fixed blades.
Thanks for any help.
Craig
Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Default RE: Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

I am no expert, but I bought Muzzy 3 blades, 125 grains, yesterday and the shop explained that i may have some variation. I had some plaining in my flight and it was hitting 1.5 -2 inches high and about the same to the left. A minor tweaking in my sight and I was zeroed in again. Just be patient and adjust the sight. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

A small problem I am having is sometimes I see the front of my arrows kick out to the side then get straighten again as they fly.....you think I am shooting too light of a broadhead...100 grain fixed blade? I have 400 grain Beman's that are cut at 28.5". I can't figure it out.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Could be a few things changed in your rig from last year such as cam timing and poundage due to cable/string wear. If they are a new type broadhead they could effect the balance of the shaft differently. For the situation you describe, tuning my RH bow, I would very slightly (.050" or so at a time) move the rest to the right (in toward the bow) until they start grouping together.Very small changes will move the broadhead groups more than they move the fieldpoint groups and at some point they should impact very close to the same point. In addition, your groups should tighten up as you get things more finetuned.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

A small problem I am having is sometimes I see the front of my arrows kick out to the side then get straighten again as they fly.....you think I am shooting too light of a broadhead...100 grain fixed blade? I have 400 grain Beman's that are cut at 28.5". I can't figure it out.
Consistently or once in a while? Could be hand torque.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

a small amount of hand torque will mess you up alot.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny, aren't you the same guy that said:
I'm so glad I don't get caught up with this bs---get a nice arrow, put a nice broadhead on it, shoot it accurately...kill the animal.
If you are shooting 70# then your spine may be a bit weak (if you mean .400 spine and not grain)but, hey, I don't want to get you caught up in all this BS .
Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Have you ever "papertuned" your bow? It's how I have gotten my broadheads to fly like my fieldpoints.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Bruce that was me---I mean I don't like to get caught up debating over "ethical" arrow weight and all ad naseum--it just gets old. What never gets old is talking about how to get my groups tighter. I believe I am shooting around #65 and shooting 400 Bemans. Thanks for any help all.

Kodiak--once every 4-5 shots probably--cant figure it out....I do grip my bow a little tighter than most.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM

i have the EXACT same problem. it only happens prolly 2 out of 10 arrows. and no its not my arrows.

Quick Reply: Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.