Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Regulations, Regulations! >

Regulations, Regulations!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Regulations, Regulations!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Default Regulations, Regulations!

I recently read the regulations thread, and came accross some pretty outlandish sets of rules for different states, and I guess I come to realize a few more things about hunting, that I never seen before.

I always knew that all states are different and have different rules, but in my opinion, thats why we as sportsman are seeing such drastic and foolish changes in the way we hunt. Alot of rules that I came accross in the thread were not only wierd, but I seen in no way which they actually helped?
I feel as though we need to come together as sportsmen, of all ages, race and sex, and come to grips on "common laws", in all states, to aid the hunters.

Dont get me wrong, I know that there are plenty of good laws, that help and are here for our best interests, but we as hunters alike, have been doing what we do, for hundreds of years, and everything has worked out. Sometimes I think people need to just take a minute, to look back to years when my great, great, great grandpa was hunting, and see that then, things were simple and working with mother nature was alot better then working against her.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Regulations, Regulations!

Amen to that.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 AM

there is no one else that can comment on this? i mean this is a pretty big topic for all of us hunters.. i was just trying to see how many poeple would actually get involved and voice an opinion, because that is what we need for sure, opinions
Old 09-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

It would probably help if you posted the "outlandish" regs. There might be good reasons behind them.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I would disagree, and am more of a states rights guy. As much as I've complained about the one deer limit in Lottery areas in Minnesota in some of these posts, the DNR in our state does a pretty good job overall, which is why we have a healthy deer population and plenty of opportunities to hunt all over the statethrough a large amount of public land. They also managedeer bag limits by nearly 200 separateharvest areas, so someone hunting in a part of the state with too many deer doesn't have to abide by the same limit as someone with a handful. That makes sense. If you gave control of hunting regulations and bag limits to once central authority in Washington, I'd hate to see what that would lead to in our state. Would everyone in every state be allowed to bait? Would baiting be banned across the board. Would everyone be allowed crossbows? Would there be antler point restrictions across the board? Would it be earn a buck everywhere? No thanks, its much easier to change things at the state level and to manage wisely at that level then to have some guys in DC, who've never been in our neck of the woods tell us how to hunt and how many deer we can kill.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: minnesotadeer

I guess I would disagree, and am more of a states rights guy. As much as I've complained about the one deer limit in Lottery areas in Minnesota in some of these posts, the DNR in our state does a pretty good job overall, which is why we have a healthy deer population and plenty of opportunities to hunt all over the statethrough a large amount of public land. They also managedeer bag limits by nearly 200 separateharvest areas, so someone hunting in a part of the state with too many deer doesn't have to abide by the same limit as someone with a handful. That makes sense. If you gave control of hunting regulations and bag limits to once central authority in Washington, I'd hate to see what that would lead to in our state. Would everyone in every state be allowed to bait? Would baiting be banned across the board. Would everyone be allowed crossbows? Would there be antler point restrictions across the board? Would it be earn a buck everywhere? No thanks, its much easier to change things at the state level and to manage wisely at that level then to have some guys in DC, who've never been in our neck of the woods tell us how to hunt and how many deer we can kill.
I agree, I like the way our DNR is doing their job, along with the ability to interact with them and actually have some input on how things get done via public meetings. We have much fewer restrictions than most states, onlyfew of which were influenced by the trophy mentality, so the hunting opportunities here are excellent for everyone. We don't have antler management here, or zone based hunting by lottery like some places. Even our non-resident fees are reasonable compared to many states. [8D]
Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 AM

what i mean is that us as sportsman, need to come together, and look out for each others states...to help accross the board with every aspect of the sport.....not have some DC doofus telling who/what/when/where/why/how......just a common backbone....because i understand all states are different with different things, but c'mon, being a hunter is being a hunter, no matter where you live...its for the love of the sport!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think this is a very good idea. States have thier laws for a reason, even if some are dumb. You can't manage every state the same because the dynamics are all different. Heck you see that even within a state you can't manage it the same.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Just for the record, none of Illinois's regs come from DC. That having been said, it is useless to expect any kind of National regs. For that matter, with the mess this Country is in, NO THANKS to the feds getting involved with anything hunting related here in Illinois. If you want the feds messing in your state, more power to you, but don't try to bring em' into mine!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM

im not saying that, im trying to say that there are sooo many different ones , that it makes it confusing at times, and that i dont see why us as hunters cant come up with a set of rules that is for all, and that way we can show organization and leadership in our sports! Thats all , i dont want any gov. officials in on my state either, but i would like to see other hunters get involved and voice themselvs!

Quick Reply: Regulations, Regulations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.