Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

INDIANA

Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default INDIANA

For you that have hunted in Indiana, I live in IL (Im 20) and my mom lives in IN. Her and my step-dad just bought some ground.

What all do I have to do to be able to hunt in Indiana?

I talked to a lady at the DNR but she didn't seem like she was very confident in what she was telling me. Lots of "Um, I think", "I guess so", "You might have to..."

She told me that she THOUGHT all I have to do is buy an over-the-counter Non-Resident permit and then I was good to go. She also told me that if it was considered agricultural or "farmland", then all I need is written permission from the landowner (My mom and stepdad). I asked my stepdad tonight, and he said it has been zoned as Agricultural on the taxes.

Any help would be great!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: INDIANA

For you I'll be 150.00 for non res. deer tag/lisc. if you were under 18 it would have been free. or if you are considered living with you mom you would'nt need a lic. just a piece of paper as a property owner tag. If you are listed as a res. of Il tax wise then you'll have to get a non-res. lic. For a quick guide to all states info I often use www.realtree.com and hit theresources tab at the top to go to state DNR's and thereare links to all stateDNR's and lic.info.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

You'll find everything you need to know here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3188.htm

I've gotten bad info from DNR office workers before, go by what the hunting and trapping guide in the link above says. Even though you're immediate family you aren't a resident living on the property, so a permission note is probably not enough.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's been said is correct as far as I know. You'll needa non-res. license ($150), which will allow you to shoot one deer. You're posting in the bowhunting forum, so assuming you're talking about bowhunting, the license will allow you a buck or doe. Then you can buy a second archery license (also $150 I think, but you should verify that), and you can shoot a buck or doe, depending upon what you shot on your first license. You are only allowed one buck per hunter in Indiana. Then you can continue to buy bonus licenses which are for antlerless deer only. I believe these are cheaper, but you should verify.

If you want to hunt the firearms season, you can use either a bonus license (for antlerless only) or if you have not yet shot a buck, you can buy a firearms license, which is for bucks only.

Go to the Indiana DNR site, and download the hunting guide.

I buylicenses as I need them. No point in buying a firearms license if you shoot an archery buck.