Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ball Bearing Release >

Ball Bearing Release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ball Bearing Release

Old 08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Spike

Default Ball Bearing Release

Hey, Ive got a ball bearing release that has never given me problems. But I have never seen another one or heard of anyone else using them. Are they obsolete or something?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ball Bearing Release

I forget the name of it?.........is it that plastic bodied one that is kind of big, has a large trigger and when you depress the trigger the front part of the head moves forward exposing the balls bearings to release the string?
Trophy something maybe and about 20yrs old?

Please don't take any of this personal because it's not an attack on you as a person. LOL
If it is that one I described, yes it is extremely outdated and obsolete as far as function goes if you've never used a modern caliper style.
The last thing you want is that LONG trigger pull and the actual head of the release moving as you press the trigger. This changes you anchor point slightly and combined with how much trigger movement it has makes it a pretty poor choice when compared to the modern stuff.

I had one of those and it waswithout questionthe WORST release I have ever owned in over 20yrs of shooting one.[:-]

Old 08-25-2008, 03:06 PM

Im pretty sure the one I started using was a Trophy Taker release. It was all aluminum or some other metal. I thought it was fine except for the hard trigger pull and it tore up the serving on my string,well that was before I had a d loop so that woudnt bea problem no more. Like mentioned above, they are not as good as a caliber style release.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used the Trophy Hunter for years until I switched to a loop. I was happy with it although it was tough on the serving.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: janesburg

I used the Trophy Hunter for years until I switched to a loop. I was happy with it although it was tough on the serving.

YEP! That's the one...........Major POS.
I actually had mine break a string in the short time I used it.

I seriously hated it so much I would rank it right up there in the top 3 worst archery products I've ever owned maybe in a tie with that Ranging dial style rangefinder from back in the day with the double images. That thing might single handedly be responsible for me having to wear contacts to this day.

When you finally learn what a consistent anchor point, crisp releases and consistency mean for promoting accurate shooting you realize just how poorly that release is designed.
Sure it holds a string and releases it by a trigger but IMO it does it exactly the wrong way.
Long travel, and the head actually extends as you press the trigger changing your anchor as it goes.

I'm getting the late 80's willies all over again and picturing the limbs of my Browning X-Cellerator Plus breaking in opposite directions because my string went BANG!!! [:-][][:@]
Old 08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Trophy Pro Roller as a backup release.

Haven't used it in a few years.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one...it probably has not been used in 10 years or so...
Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a ball bearing release I use as a back up. it also has never given me any problems. Mine is a Tru-Fire.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
I have a ball bearing release I use as a back up. it also has never given me any problems. Mine is a Tru-Fire.

would you like to sell this release regardless please call or txt me 8654669636 thanks
Old 08-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr

Hello sir by chance do you still have this release? And if so is it for sale please contact me at 9283630553

Quick Reply: Ball Bearing Release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.