Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Missouri Public Land? >

Missouri Public Land?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missouri Public Land?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Spike

Default Missouri Public Land?

Anyone have a suggestions on public land to hunt in Missouri? A couple of guys, including myself, are planningon traveling from Alabama for anarchery hunt in late Oct./early Nov. We are not interested in killing does or small bucks but would rather have the opportunity to possibly kill a nice buck and have a good timewithout having to pay an outfitter? We've done a lot of research on Missouri's DNR website but there are so many public land options we honestly can't decide. Anyone have any experience with any of these lands?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Missouri Public Land?

I always start here. There's one for every state.
http://www.missourigameandfish.com/

Hunters love to talk (unless you ask them point blank), listen, find the land available near them and go get'm.
Just type in bucks and the state to google. Mix it up. Maybe find the roads that have the most car/deer crash's More info than you could ever use.

Get maps, make some calls and employe Eastmans approach, hunt it for 4 years. In the end you'll know the place well and be able to take some nice deer. Move on!

I've heard horror stories of some of the hunters there. They believe they own the place.Becareful.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck PRB--I commend you and your buds for doing it by yourselves. I look forward to seeing the pics of the arrowed bucks you are after!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help! We are currently leaning toward the Indian Hills Conservation Area or the Charlie Heath Memorial Cons. Area in the northeast part of the state. Any input of these specific areas?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being in the NE corner, they will get alot of attention from other hunters. Take a look at some of the smaller parcells a bit south - they get ignored sometimes.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wallhangr

Being in the NE corner, they will get alot of attention from other hunters. Take a look at some of the smaller parcells a bit south - they get ignored sometimes.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Spike

How far south? Any suggestions on a couple of areas? Alot of the areas are fairly small which made me think that they wouldn't be able to hold many hunters.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check around Hannibal, there are several in the area. That way if oneistoo busy you can check out another close by.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

I always start here. There's one for every state.
http://www.missourigameandfish.com/

Hunters love to talk (unless you ask them point blank), listen, find the land available near them and go get'm.
Just type in bucks and the state to google. Mix it up. Maybe find the roads that have the most car/deer crash's More info than you could ever use.

Get maps, make some calls and employe Eastmans approach, hunt it for 4 years. In the end you'll know the place well and be able to take some nice deer. Move on!

I've heard horror stories of some of the hunters there. They believe they own the place.Becareful.

What are you trying to say Ohio?

I love my home state of Missouri and think that if one were to do their homework, they may find that thereare thousands of acres of unpressured public land hidden throughout the Show-Me state. Maybe then, they wouldn't be forced to speak to hunters "who think they own the place."

Sorry, took offense at the statement. Sounds like a poke at the Missouri hunter. I'm sure every state (including Ohio) has hunters as you describe.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know several guys from around here that go to Indian Hills. One group of good friends that went up for the first time last year, said they wouldn't ever go back becuase it was so crowded.

Quick Reply: Missouri Public Land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.