Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck/Doe ratio

Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buck/Doe ratio

Multi-topic thread. Just curious,what's the buck:doe ratio in your parts and do you try to control it??? Do you concentrate on taking out some does every year, or just hunt ol' split toe? I try my best to keep it balanced, but the does outnumber the bucks at my place by about 3:1, and on a property like mine that's not huge, the bucks don't have to chase to find a baby-mama. I usually try to kill at least 4does early on, maybe a buddy or two take a couple out too,then we start huntin the racks. Going by trail cam pics and actual sightings, I'd say on my 300 acres there's probably around6 or 7young bucksand around 3or 4nice mature bucks each year, and by mature I'm meaning age-wise. They have a lot of room to roam off the property onto other lands though, and I'm sure there's many other nice deer on those properties. Buck/doe ratio, do you hunt does, how many bucks do you estimate are on your hunting property year to year?