HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Deer Attractant Tests (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/255272-deer-attractant-tests.html)

AF Hunter 07-30-2008 06:06 PM

Deer Attractant Tests

I have been using areas off a heavily travelled trail to test different attractants. Each new attractant I try is set further down the trail than the previous from the bedding area. I leave a trail cam set up on the attractant for one week. I rated each attractant by:
1. Number of deer showing up;
2. Number of adult deer;
3. Buck to Doe Ratio; and
4. Longest Time spent at attractant.

Here are my results so far:

Trophy Rock: ($14.99) 16/15/7:8/6min 3rd one tested and still has a lot of activity.
Deer CoCAIN (Black Magic) ($7.99): 37/37/5:32/12min WOW! they come in and stick around for quite a while.
C'mere Deer ($19.99): 8/0/0:8/2min 2nd one setup and visits dropped off drastically after trophy rock setup.
Salt Lick ($5.70): 32/16/2:14/1min 1st one setup and least frequented since the others started.

I just set up a trail cam on a product new to me - Advantage 360 Supermaxx ($9.99)

Questions:
1. Has any of you done any type of study on different attractants in your area?
2. Do you feel the criteria I set up is fair for rating the attractant?

Thanks for your input.

GR8atta2d 07-30-2008 06:11 PM

RE: Deer Attractant Tests

Best stuff I found mineral wise was whitetail addiction like 5 bucks at wally world for a gallon and it keeps'em coming in for weeks.

It looks like some of your attarctant brings in Jackass's....lol

TexasBowHunter 07-30-2008 06:11 PM

Looks good to me AF,I am glad to see the results of the Trophy rock, I put them out earlier this year!!!!! Good job on your test....

AF Hunter 07-30-2008 06:26 PM

Oh, I forgot, I tried "Buck Jam" Corn flavor ($12.99) didn't get diddly. Even though I am trying different attractants, if one of the previous sites gets low, I restock it. This could be a long cost intensive test by the time I'm done, but, I really want to know what draws them in the best without having to rely on some ad.

virginiashadow 07-30-2008 06:28 PM

good work AF---thanks for the info

AF Hunter 07-30-2008 06:30 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Best stuff I found mineral wise was whitetail addiction like 5 bucks at wally world for a gallon and it keeps'em coming in for weeks.

It looks like some of your attarctant brings in [email protected]
[/quote

I'll get some and try it. Thanks GR8

AF Hunter 07-30-2008 08:21 PM

With all the members of this forum, I figured there would be more people out there that would have tried something like this instead of just listening to the manufacturers brag about their products and taking them at their word besides GR8, nothing. Kind of disappointed.[X(]

Rob/PA Bowyer 07-30-2008 08:27 PM

That's pretty cool AF, thanks for that data.

Mottz 07-30-2008 08:41 PM

Great study. I'd like to hear a little more bout that dee cocain.

im ocd 07-30-2008 08:44 PM

I've usually had good results with Trophy Rock too.