Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far will you take a shot? >

How far will you take a shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far will you take a shot?

Old 07-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default How far will you take a shot?

How far will you take a shot? I have been practicing up to 100 yds. and shooting pretty good. On average, I can hit 2 out of 4 paper plates at 100 yards, but this is under idea conditions. In the spring, I took a turkey. I took 5 shots at a gobbler in the spring (38, 41, 51, 56, 20). Each shot connecting, but not a vital until the last one at 20. The first did damage but not enough. I have been practicing 3d and doing well but most of targets are 35 or less. I know that conditions play into every shot, but is therea rule of thumb. For example, hit a plate at x yards x out of y times.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far will you take a shot?

I don't think there is a rule of thumb...Just know your limits, me personally, I don't use plates. I am a firm believer in aiming at smaller targets such bright neon stickers the size of a dime to a quarter...Personally, I can shoot really good groups at 60yds but I will never take a shot at a deer that far, I have taken a couple hogs in the 50 to 60 yd range and the furthest I have taken a deer was like 40yds, and that was pushing it for ME....You just have to figure out what your limits are and what you are confindent that you can make that shot everytime without wounding an animal, and again every shot in the woods will be different....Good luck to you!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Forget that "pie plate" concept. Anyone can hit a pie plate at a reasonable distance. You need to aim at a much smaller "spot" to achieve best results in accuracy. Aim small, miss small. It makes you "focus" better!Oh yea, I won't shoot past 30yrds.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its bowhunting and about getting them in close, my shots will be no further than 18 yards but I'm going to try and get closer!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Forget that "pie plate" concept. Anyone can hit a pie plate at a reasonable distance. You need to aim at a much smaller "spot" to achieve best results in accuracy. Aim small, miss small. It makes you "focus" better! Oh yea, I won't shoot past 30yrds.
I agree, that pie plate BS in my opinion isn't good shooting.

Its bowhunting and about getting them in close, my shots will be no further than 18 yards but I'm going to try and get closer!
Unfortunately thats getting to be a past time in bow hunting Joe! But I 100% agree with you, it is about getting them close.

As for me It all depends on how I'm shooting that particular day before I head out into the woods. Some days its 15 yards, but mostly its 20 yards. I do hunt with a recurve so my yardage is shorter then most compound shooters. If I can't consistently hit with in 2" of my mark at 20 yards I'm not happy with my shooting and most likely won't take that 20 yard shot.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know this is what makes me hate technology. The reason I do not rifle hunt very much anymore is because I chose to "close the distance" In my opinion if you want to shoot an animal at 100 yds. plus, then you need to pick up a firearm! There is no animal in this world that I want to RISK making a unethical shot on. The farther you are away from the animal the more your arrow will react to error. It's just not worth it. I Have taken 6 elk with bow and arrow, and countless Mule deer, and Blacktail with my bow. I have never shot past 40 yds. only one elk was further then 30 yds. If you want to shoot long range, keep it in the 3D range!
My .02
Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

60 yards on a calm deer...
Old 07-26-2008, 08:43 AM

60 yards is my end zone. no more.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Read My LIPS Nothing over 30yds [:@]

If I can't get them to within 30yds or closer I prefer 15 - 20yds , THEN THEY WALK to be hunted another day.
Please do not take a stupid Unethical Shot just to wound and lose a great animal , they will be there another day.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to have em 25 yards or less.

Quick Reply: How far will you take a shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.