Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Selection

Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Spike

Default Bow Selection

I'm a virgin to bow hunting and need another addiction. My question is about bow selection. Where to start? I've been looking at alot of bows and needless to say, thats where the confusion begins. Like fly fishing everyone has there favorites and opinions. I've been searching e-bay looking for something that isn't a huge initial investment. Some of the bows I'm looking at include PSE sidewinder and team fitz nova; Reflex buckskin and grizzly; Hoyt ZR200. I recognize some of the big name bow makers but there appears to be alot of others. Without having the opportunity to shoot them before I buy, I'm looking for opinions and advice on how and where to start; what type of things are needed on a bow, what to look at, etc. Any comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow Selection

The best advice I've gotten and given on bow selection is to find yourself a shop and shoot as many bows as you can. Only whena bow is in your hands can you decide if it is the one for you.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont listen to what anyone here says, no one is the same. go and shoot as many bows in your price range as you can, get the one you like the most. good luck, and welcome to the forums.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with both of them dont buy a bow off a e-bay you never know what you are getting get out there and shoot them before you buy i made that mistake once...never again
[align=left] [/align]
Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Huntinman23

i agree with both of them dont buy a bow off a e-bay you never know what you are getting get out there and shoot them before you buy i made that mistake once...never again
[align=left] [/align]
i would buy a bow off ebay, but id make sure you could return it if needed, and make sure the seller has VERY good feedback
Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Huntinman23

[align=left][/align]
I disagree. I bought my Switchback, that I just sold, off of ebay. You just have to be careful.

Ok, to the real question. I would go to a shop and shoot as many as possible...the ones you are looking at on ebay. Shoot the NEW bows at the shop. That will give you a pretty good idea of what a used one will feel like in your hand. Once you have shot several, then you can choose the correctUSED one off of ebay...if that's the route you decide to go.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

I think it is critical for you (or anyone) to be fitted properly.
The worst thing you can do is to try to shoot a bow that is not
correct drawlength and set up correctly for you. It is so worth
going to a pro shop and getting fitted properly. your shooting
experience will be a pleasure, instead of fighting with and trying to
make something work that doesn"t even fit you.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Spike

Ya know, bow hunters are alot like fly fisherman..lots of advice and always willing to give it and share their knowledge and experiences. I would rather support a local shop then to give to the big "pro" shops. Bows like rods are, I'm learning, are all about feel. Thanks for all the input. The shop in our town has a 10 yd range, so I'm off to see if I can at least shoot one.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Thanks again
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cjahlert

Ya know, bow hunters are alot like fly fisherman..lots of advice and always willing to give it and share their knowledge and experiences. I would rather support a local shop then to give to the big "pro" shops. Bows like rods are, I'm learning, are all about feel. Thanks for all the input. The shop in our town has a 10 yd range, so I'm off to see if I can at least shoot one.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Thanks again
let us know what bows you shoot and what your thoughts on them are
Old 07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah keep us informed.....but once you find one you like or a couple of them you like, before you jump into buying one Look on Archerytalk.com the reason i say this i because it is a forum like Huntingnet it has really good classifieds....there are also alot of good bows For-sale...but like said before its like buying a bow off of EBAY you have to be careful of who and what you choose to buy...but keep us informed and let us know what you get

WELCOME..

BH819

Quick Reply: Bow Selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.