Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Control- What I do >

Scent Control- What I do

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Control- What I do

Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Scent Control- What I do

Some may think this is a big waste of time, but it's what I do.

Washing clothes I use sport wash, I have gound sport wash to be the best. I picked up a tip from someone here, I use my own washer. Only hunting clothes are washed in this washer.

Soap I use the Green soap I have used others, I have confidence in the green soap from HS.

After I shower, I spray down and dry off with one of my hunting towels, washed in my washer.
I than spray down, I like Scent Killer.
Brush my teeth in DDW tooth paste
I than put on sweats for the ride to my location. Sweats washed in my washer
I than get dressed at my location.

X-Scents Base layer Socks, pants, face mask
Scentlok suit(just the layer)

Spray DDW mouth spray in my mouth

I wear a pair of gloves and SL face mask as I walk or ride to my stand.

When I arrive, I change to my hunting gloves that are in my SL pack.
I remove the mask and put some scentfree face paint.

I keep a rag in a plastic bag, I wipe of my hands spray them down again. Put gloves back on.

Now I am ready

Some may think this is stupid, so what[8D]
Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Control- What I do

It is stupid

Just trying to be first.

Really, that is impressive. Don't ask what I do. It would be easier to tell you what I don't do[8D]
Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

And The results speak for them selves.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a pretty good regimen Gary. Mine is similar with a few small differences. Everything I wear, all year round, is washed in unscented, dye free detergent. I know this isn't as good as the hunter detergent, but it keeps unwanted perfumes and dyes out of the washer since I only have one. All of my hunting gear is washed in hunter detergent and sprayed down.

I wear the clothes that are washed in that unscented detergent for the ride to the spot, where I then spray down and put on my hunting gear that has been in a garbage bag, inside a scent free bag. I spray down again once my clothes are on.

I walk to my stand and once in it I use a field wipe to wipe down any sweat and the gear I had touched with bare hands.

I like the idea you have of wearing the Scent Lok face mask and gloves on the way to the stand and may start doing that.

Of course none of this is a substitute for hunting the right wind, but if you are playing the wind and doing this, I believe it can only help and not hurt.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Washing clothes I use sport wash, I have gound sport wash to be the best. I picked up a tip from someone here, I use my own washer. Only hunting clothes are washed in this washer.

I use the same washer.....but wash several loads of camo at one time.....(starting with my towels). Hunting garments go in the latter loads.

Soap I use the Green soap I have used others, I have confidence in the green soap from HS.

After I shower spray down and dry off with one of my hunting towels, washed in my washer.
I than spray down, I like Scent Killer.
Brush my teeth in DDW (Baking Soda)tooth paste
I than put on sweats for the ride to my location. Sweats washed in my washer
I than get dressed at myhome (outside)....and spray down withe3. (But I walk to stand. I wear my pants and "a" shirt....get dressed once I'm at my hunting height in my climber)
X-Scents Base layer Socks, pants, face mask
Scentlok suit(just the layer)

Spray DDW mouth spray in my mouth

I wear a pair of gloves and SL face mask as I walk or ride to my stand...but it's the one I hunt in, also.

When I arrive, I change to my hunting gloves that are in my SL pack.
I remove the mask and put some scentfree face paint.

I keep a rag in a plastic bag, I wipe of my hands spray them down again. Put gloves back on.

-----------------------------------------

I'll sometimes take spray with me to my stand and spray down once I'm dressed (if it's hot). Otherwise.....I feel like I'm simply playing the odds that I'm doing everything I can.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have 2 washing machines? Holy crap.....let me know how you got the wife to agree to that. Mine stays busy enough running one.[8D]
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 AM

Germ, I'm learning that the smallest details sometimes make the biggest difference. And scent control is a major player in that. I'm almost OCD when it comes to scent control. It's almost like work. I do alot of the same things you do, but I wear latex gloves when handling my clothing during the washing process. I spray my hands down w/ scent eliminator, they dry, put on the gloves, spray them as well.

That I'm aware of, I wasn't winded on stand last season. I'm certain there are a few that caught me that I never knew were there, and they just slipped out. But I was never once blown at by a deer that was downwind. Of all the deer I saw on stand last year, only one had any clue that I was there, and I killed him anyway. He saw me move. Every other deer I had in and around my kill zone was calm as could be. I've got a hell of a lot to learn, but I'm doing something right anyway.

A solid scent control regime, coupled with wind direction and thermals are major players.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wash my clothes and gloves normally. However, I dry them outside on the line and then pack them in a bag with pine needles for a few days to eliminate the smell of detergent. I wear rubber boots every time out, even in the off season, except when it is below 20 degrees. Then I wuss out and wear my thick insulated boots. I cut liberal trails to and from every stand so that I don't have to touch anything on my approach or departure.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

You have 2 washing machines? Holy crap.....let me know how you got the wife to agree to that. Mine stays busy enough running one.[8D]
I bought her a new one

Mobo I like the gloves idea
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Site Buck Guru

Is it true that Klingon's have been spotted around Uranus?? [:-]

Quick Reply: Scent Control- What I do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.