Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bear broadhead

Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 PM
JT
Spike

Default bear broadhead

I shoot rage for deer, feel like I should shoot fixed for bear this september. Suggestions? G5?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bear broadhead

G5 would work just fine. I shoot a 3 blade some what like a G5 but its bigger in cutting diameter then the G5. I shoot a 125 grain 3 blade Magnus Snuffer. Its treated me very well.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Any setup adequate for deer is more than adequate for black bear. A bears hide/skin is thinner than that of a whitetail. A bears hair however it thicker.

If you shoot a Rage adequate for deer, your more than adequate for black bear. The large cutting diameter should serve you well with blood trails as a bears hair tend to block the bleeding.

Shot placement in a bear is the most important thing. Study them, the hair can fool you where their actual body line is.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The large cutting diameter should serve you well with blood trails as a bears hair tend to block the bleeding.
Actually Rob its the fat that plugs the holes in a bear. Like Rob said though if your mech works for deer it should work for bear also. I should of mentioned that in my previous post that mechs will be no different on bear then a deer.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good point Shultzy, forgot about that bear fat.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bear Fat in the Fall is absolutely something!! If hunting with an Outfitter check with him, many will not allow the use of mechanicals of any kind.

If it's Ok with him, use anything you have confidence in!

Dan
Old 07-22-2008, 01:48 PM

i would use a fixed blade for bear, i use mecanical for deer, bears usually dont bleed much anyway some times a smaller diameter hole will get better penetration. shot placement is important.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot placement is very important on bears, check out some anatomy pics to be sure you know where you are headed. As for broadheads, bears don't like to bleed too much, between the fat and thick fur, they can lose blood, but you may not even see it. Shoot what you have confidence in, and it that is the Rage, then I would stick with that.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

First stop, check with your outfitter as someone mention. He may NOT allow you to hunt with them. In Canada, check the laws. YUP, learn the anatomy. It's not a whitetail. where as we like to see a bottom 3rd hit on a deer... it won't work with a bear. You need to be higher with all that hair hanging down to confuse you.