Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 do deer calls really work? >

do deer calls really work?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do deer calls really work?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Default do deer calls really work?

This is going to be my first year bowhunting and i need to get some stuff. I was wondering if deer calls are ssomething that i really need. I read the reveiws for the buck roar on cabelas and they are pretty good. Do they really work or not? If they do what ones would you sugest?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do deer calls really work?

I always have a grunt call on me when in the woods, butI don't use it too often. I have played around with it some while watching deer, some responded, some didn't, some took off and some came to check it out....I believe it all has to do with time of year and that particular deer....
Old 07-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Whitetails are vocal animals and respond to calling every so often. I use a grunt call in conjunction with rattling or if I see a deer out of range and want to try and bring them back my way. I have had success doing so, but don't over call.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just like everything else in hunting. Nothing works 100% of the time. And what works for one hunter may not for someone else.I personaly don't use any commercial calls, I make the sounds with my voice. That much less I have to carry in.

I have seen deer come right to calls and I have seen them pay no attention even tho I know they could hear it.

But if it works just one time it would be worth it. Good luck with your new adventure.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM

If you don't use it at the right time of year and if you don't know how to use them, you can actually hurt your hunting chances!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard bucks grunt from September through December. The trick is knowing when to use them in your area. But yes, I ALWAYS have at lease one grunt tube with me. The Primos Can is a great investment too!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

the can is worth buyin an havin with you!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

They work in the right situation. You will likely scare more than you call in until you figure that out. But that's all part of the learning curve. Stay basic until you get a REAL good understanding.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

YESn they work. Not always but sometimes. The can and a grunt tube will cover all your bases. When I have deer moving in front of me and I want to stop them I just mouth grunt to make them stop. I use the can when a deer comes in and its a little spooked........ it may walk away but the can it and they come back.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would not Whitetail hunt during the Rut without having a Grunt and a bleat at my disposal.

Dan

Quick Reply: do deer calls really work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.