Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrows Fishtailing?? >

Arrows Fishtailing??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows Fishtailing??

Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Default Arrows Fishtailing??

I just got a new sight and rest for my bow and my arrows were doing this before. Iwas prob. out of tune before I got a new rest. Well I got the new rest (QAD Hunter) and its in tune and everything and my arrows are still fishtailing[:@]I did crank the # from 55 to 60 but that shouldnt make that much of a diff. should it?

So my question is why are my arrows fishtailing??
Old 06-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrows Fishtailing??

A buddy of mine did the exact same thing you are talking about. He went from 60 to 70 pounds. He had two different arrows. Some from Cabelas and some carbon weave ones. The arrows from Cabelas looked like a happy dogs tail coming off his bow. The carbon weave did just fine. Try a different spine strength and see if that doesnt fix ya right up.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your arrow might be not be spined correctly. Or you sure you bow is shooting a good hole? If the arrows are fish tailing right off the riser, I don't see how you could be shooting a good hole. If you are sure you arrows are spined correctly, shoot your bow thru paper and see what the tear look like. You can also put some baby powder onyour rest and see if your arrows are hitting, maybe the rest is not dropping correctly. I would start with arrow spine and then move quickly to paper tuning. I would think between the two you will be able to correct your problem.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of setup do you have? I had problems with Blazers hitting the crossbar when I installed my QAD. You can wrap a white sticker to the rest and put some lipstick on the edge of the vanes to check for clearance. I use 3.125" quickspins now and they work good.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Im shooting Redhead brand arrows (prob. first mistake) and they have 4" duravanes on them. I was shooting a WB before and it was doing the same thing so Im thinking its the spine. Im going to get new arrows soon and Ill make sure to get the right spine. my spine forEaston and Beaman is 400 but I dont know about Gold Tips and the others. Im thinking about getting either Easton Axis FMJs or Eaton Epics. Just depends if I want to spend $130 or $80 for a dozen. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nathan,
Have you paper tuned your bow? I couldn't believe the difference after I did, any and all fishtailing disapeared. I was getting a little fishtailing with arrows that were spined correctly and none with over spined arrows, now they all shoot straight.
Mike
Old 06-26-2008, 04:46 PM

I also have this problem I noticed the other day, if your arrows are spined correctly do you move the arrow rest to adjust this? if so do you "chase the arrow" as if you were moving a sight pin?

thanks