Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many have gut shot a deer? >

How many have gut shot a deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many have gut shot a deer?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default How many have gut shot a deer?

I know that nobody wants to do it, but sometimes in archery it happens. Tell me what happened, type broadhead, distance, if you found the animal, ect...

Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many have gut shot a deer?

I have with an arrow--very sharp downward angle with a mechanical broadhead maybe 5 years ago---took me over 8-9 hours to find the buck the next day. He was only 50 yards from where I shot him but was laid up under a tree by a creek. Hardly any blood at all, then just had to do a visual search up and down dang hills for hour after hour. I was actually about ready to leave because I absolutely had no blood trail or anything....but saw an antler sticking out and was ecstatic!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

What kills the deer when gutshot, if they dont really bleed and they can breath? I know they dont just starve to death but what does them in?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: killadoe

What kills the deer when gutshot, if they dont really bleed and they can breath? I know they dont just starve to death but what does them in?

Their system gets poisoned.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done it to two, and been on about 10 recovery operations for gutshot deer. It is a shame to make an animal die like that, but they almost always can be recovered. Let the animal set at least 8 hours and perferably over night without attempting to get near it. They almost always are dead within 300 yards when left alone. Of the stomach or intestine hit deer I have followed I have recovered I every single one that wasnt pushed way too soon. Only two that I can think of I was not able to track down - after dingleberries went running after them after only an hour or two.

My two: My first nice buck was looking right at me at 30 yards broadside. I wasnt shooting the fastest bow and the deer saw and heard me shoot - jumped the string and hit him dead center[:'(]. He went 50 yards, bedded down, and soon dead.

My other - I took a moving shot (DUH) at a range of about 30 feet. I still hit too far back - that deer went about 200 yards, bedded down, and we found him the next morning. Those are the only two that i just hit guts.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Intresting thread, but I have a feeling a lot of guys won't own up to doing this for obvious reasons. Anyway,I hit a doe (3 years ago)in the liver, and it came out through the gut on the far side. I looked at my arrow, knew what kind of hit I had gotten, and backed out until the following morning at first light.
I followed what little blood there was and found her dead within 50yrds, beside a real small creek. I think they get dehydrated, and seek out water.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have gut shot two deer, both bucks.[:@] One I was on the ground and the deer came out to 25 yards on the field edge. He was a nice 8 point and I lined up the shot, but hit back. I don't know what happened, just a bad shot I guess. He went 800 yards and died in someone's backyard. The called the GCO and he came and took him. I tried to get in touch with the GCO, but never could and never got the deer.

The other one I had a nice 8 point, a decent 7 and a small 6 milling around my stand. The 8 and the 7 got behind a big old oak so I drew back and waited for the 8 to come out (8 was going one way 7 the other). The 7 stepped out the way I thought the 8 would and I couldn't hold back any longer. I tried to let down and accidentally tripped the trigger. The arrow hit back. We searched all around for that deer and never found him. I think he went onto a neighboring property that we didn't have permission on, but we can never be sure.

Nothing I hate more than losing deer.[:'(]
Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll own up to it! I've gut shot a few bear and deer and if treated the right way they will most likely be down and out 100 or so away from where you shot them, it may take them a good 10 hours or so to die at times but they sure won't make it. What happens is like Bob said, there system gets poisoned and it slowly kills them. Its a slow death no dought but it does happen every now and then. Make sure if you gut shoot one that you do not track it if possible till the next morning to be on the safe side. To many people jump on these bad hits and push them to the next county.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive been lucky enough to not lose any deer yet because of a bad shot. My bowkill buck went 40 yards and my doe went 70, both lung shots. My buddies dad gut shot a doe last season with his bow and it ran 300 yards before we lost the trail, same thing happened with another one of my friends. Both deer bled like crazy but eventually it thinned out. My hunting group has also gutshot a few does during the last few gun seasons, and we couldnt recover them either. All the guys took responsibility for thier actions and we searched many days for those deer....thats why they call it hunting and not killing though

Quick Reply: How many have gut shot a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.