Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many have gut shot a deer? >

How many have gut shot a deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many have gut shot a deer?

Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many have gut shot a deer?

BUMP[:@]
Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Given 8-10 hours most deer will either internally bleed from the wound or die from infection.
Actually, I don't believe they will die from infection in 8-10 hours after the injury. Infection will take much much longer to kill a deer.

I agree, they do not die from infection that fast, rather pure blood loss, shock, or from 'blood poisoning' from stomach contents getting into the bloodstream(There is a technical term I cannot remember)
Old 05-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I gut shot a Doe about 10 years back, didn't wait long enough and jumped her and she was never found! I flinched and looked to see where I was shooting and hit her right in the guts, bad follow thru on my part! Still sucks to this day, lesson learned the hard way!![:'(]
Old 05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: killzonearchery

i shot a doe this year with a gut shot. she was about 32 yards out and i forgot the broadheads. BUt it was with my pse typoon , but it was my fault
I didn't get this whole quote before, but am I reading this wrong?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its happened a few times in 26 years. Ths one was about 30 yards, hit a branch of a sapling about 10 yards from the deer, sent the arrow slighly off. Knew the hit was back a bit,quietly gotdown recovered my arrow sticking in the ground with the Luminock glowing, and got out of there. Came back the next morning went over the shot, saw the branchthe arrow nicked, found very little blood,and found him laying at the edge of a creek 100 yards from my stand. For me, from my past experiencesof being impatient, the best thing to do is just get out of there and come back the next day, pushing will only make things worse for you and the recovery percentage.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:13 PM

schultzy and Dan are right on. If you wait long enough you will find them if there is blood for sure.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

I have hittwo in the guts. The first was in 95 I just plain blew a 20 yrd shot. I was using a PSE bow and Thunderhead 100 gr. broadheads. We let her lay over nightand found her 400yrds away the next day. The other was a spike buck in 97 same set up. 25 yrds away. The nock blew up and he jumped the string. Never found him.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I have had 2, both shot with Rocket Hammerheads.

The first was doe, shot about 7:30 in the morning. I went back in at 4:00 and found her bedded in a tree top. I had to shoot her again as she tried to get up.

The other was adoea fewyears ago. I shot her too far back late one evening. I left immediately and came back in the morning. It had just started snowing so I had no blood trail to follow.I just started walking the trail she was on. I found her dead in her bed just off the trail about 75 yards later.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot 2.
My first buck, I found him a little late. I walked within feet of him and never saw him while the meat was still salvagable. It was a horrible experience and one I vowed never to repeat. Being it was my first deer, I didn't know what to do, and trusted and experienced bowhunter, who as it turned out, didn't really know what the proper thing to do was either. We both learned.

The second was a doe and my most difficult track. I played things well, followed some pin drop blood thru nasty thickets & found her.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Me me me, I've gut shot one. Matter of fact, it was this past season.

I had a nice 8 come in at about thirty yards and I sent a 100 grain 4 blade Muzzy right through his guts. I now attribute that to my target panic. Its getting better. Anyway, I waited about 6 hours before taking up the trail and didn't find him. Looked for several days. Gave up and decided to look after the season. Found him about 350-400 yards in a thicket from where I had shot him. I shot him on November 3rd and found him on March 9th. I was happy.

Quick Reply: How many have gut shot a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.