Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many have gut shot a deer? >

How many have gut shot a deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many have gut shot a deer?

Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many have gut shot a deer?

I have gut shot a bunch of deer over the years. I hate the fact that the animal will die slowly. If you handlea gut shot correctly you should recover every deer.

For the record I am refering to all deer not hit in the lung cavity as gut shot.
many deer hit too far back are actually hit in other organs that will kill them quickly. A liver shot deer is dead just as quick as a lung shot.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Make sure if you gut shoot one that you do not track it if possible till the next morning to be on the safe side. To many people jump on these bad hits and push them to the next county.
EXACTY!! Great advice.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's a good time right now to read John Trout's book "Finding Wounded Deer". IMO, he isthe bestauthority on the subject.

And yes it has happened to me also.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

A liver shot deer is dead just as quick as a lung shot.

Not in my experience.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

A liver shot deer is dead just as quick as a lung shot.

Not in my experience.
I hear ya Bob. I had 1 dead center liver shot deer alive yet the next morning. 12 hours later we arrowed it again.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did it just last season. I misjudged/miscalculated an angle on what should have been, and what I initally thought was a chip shot. The deer, which I thought was dead broadside, was canted slightly and was much more quartering to me than I thought she was. The arrow hit perfect for a dead broadside shot, but came out gut.

I thought it was a good solid lung and perhaps part of the liver hit.... but the arrow was coated in nothing but yellow acorn mash. I gave her five hours and then, due to the onset of heavy rains, had to give it a go. It took me over an hour and a half to cover 80 yards, but she was bedded up dead just 80 yards from where I shot her. At times I had no blood at all and had to go on pure instinct and scuffed pine needles. Even after looking at her again... it still looked like a perfect shot... lungs just weren't where they were supposed to be. So it goes.

Broadhead was a G5 Montec. Blood trail was sparse, rain was heavy. When I quartered the deer... I did infact get one lung, the liver and the upper esophagus. Just goes to show that you MUST MUST MUST take your time and be methodical when you blood trail deer.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I did it just last season. I misjudged/miscalculated an angle on what should have been, and what I initally thought was a chip shot. The deer, which I thought was dead broadside, was canted slightly and was much more quartering to me than I thought she was. The arrow hit perfect for a dead broadside shot, but came out gut. I know I got the liver.... but the arrow was coated in nothing but yellow acorn mash. I gave her five hours and then, due to the onset of heavy rains, had to give it a go. It took me over an hour and a half to cover 80 yards, but she was bedded up dead just 80 yards from where I shot her. At times I had no blood at all and had to go on pure instinct and scuffed pine needles. Even after looking at her again... it still looked like a perfect shot... lungs just weren't where they were supposed to be. So it goes.

Broadhead was a G5 Montec. Blood trail was sparse, rain was heavy. Just goes to show that you MUST MUST MUST take your time and be methodical when you blood trail deer.
Well said Swamp. Gospel in every way!!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Knock on wood, I haven't yet with a bow knowingly.Although I've lost my share of deer,I could havepossibly.I have gut shot 2 with a gun and was able to recover both of them.One was shot with a 50 cal ML and the shot angled foward through the liver.The second one was straight through the gut and the deer went 300 yds,being pushed of course.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have gutshot a couple. Never recovered one. Recovered the other.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 AM

I have done it 3 times in 20 yrs. only recovered one. Muzzy heads, bad shot placement and rushed it.

Quick Reply: How many have gut shot a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.