Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Short Draw Length >

Short Draw Length

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Short Draw Length

Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Default Short Draw Length

I find myself in a dilema. Have wanted to get into bow hunting for a long time. I finally have the time, money and place to make this happen. As a newbie I am trying to gather as much from places such as this and other bow hunters I know. The number one thing everybody tells me is shoot some different bows before you buy one. I can follow this logic as buying from a local bow shop gives me better fit and support than an internet of big store purchase.

Here's my problem. I am short and stocky. My true measured draw length is 25". In my area there are 4 bow shops, 3 are part time only. The one closest to my house has only 1 bow in stock that will fit me if he can locate the proper module. The other has 3, but the starting price on them is about what I expected to pay after I had the bow totally set up. I did get a chance last night to shoot a Mathews Switchback and it was sweet. I don't know what draw weight it was set to but (and this is embarising) it belonged to one of the techs kids and was the only bow in the house set to 25".

It seems to me most shops carry bows in the 27-30" range as this is the most common sizes. But how can I shoot several to choose when there are so few choices. I can't ask the dealer to order several models just so I can try and find one. As a newbie with no precovcieved notions of the diferences am I better off just going to the internet or the big chians and then let my local shop tune me up?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: Short Draw Length

Belushi, I know lots of hunters who have bought a bare bow from the internet, and then have taken it to a pro shop to get tuned/sighted in. There are lots of choices out there to choose from so don't give up just yet. Actually take a look at Martin bows. I do believe they sell a few bows with a 25" d/l.

Phirst
Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 PM

I have a 26" draw length and used to have 25.5" draw modules on my Bowtech Guardian. It is a real shooter. Another great short draw bow is a Bowtech Equalizer.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto for me too...I have a 25.5 inch draw and use a 26 inch with a short string loop and a a thumb handle release.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:13 PM

Thanks fellas. I'm hanging with it. I've finally got a hold of all the dealers within 75mi. of me, even Gander Mtn. and same problem. No one carries more than 1-3 bows that will even work and then only if they have the proper cam on hand. But the last gentleman I spoke to this evening may be my answer. We talked at length and he sounds like he knows his stuff. I'm going to try and get by his shop tomorrow evening. He has promised to help get me fit and at least try to do some shooting wether I buy from him or not. The only thing that worries me is that he might talk me into reaching deeper in my pocket. Sounds like all he carries are the top end models. Right now though I'm off to the Mtn. to shoot a Diamond "The Rock".
Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

I have a 26" draw length and used to have 25.5" draw modules on my Bowtech Guardian. It is a real shooter. Another great short draw bow is a Bowtech Equalizer.
I second the equalizer by Bowtech. I was made specifically for people with short draw lengths.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Belushi

Thanks fellas. I'm hanging with it. I've finally got a hold of all the dealers within 75mi. of me, even Gander Mtn. and same problem. No one carries more than 1-3 bows that will even work and then only if they have the proper cam on hand. But the last gentleman I spoke to this evening may be my answer. We talked at length and he sounds like he knows his stuff. I'm going to try and get by his shop tomorrow evening. He has promised to help get me fit and at least try to do some shooting wether I buy from him or not. The only thing that worries me is that he might talk me into reaching deeper in my pocket. Sounds like all he carries are the top end models. Right now though I'm off to the Mtn. to shoot a Diamond "The Rock".
The Rock is also a good choice.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 PM

FIRE BY ELITE...GOOD LUCK FINDING A DEALER

http://www.elitearchery.com/

THE BOWTECHS MENTIONED EARLIER ARE ALSO A GOOD CHOICE
Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

the equalizer would be a great choice, it is a fast bow for such short draw lengths. but i think the price is up there a little compared to the rock.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, first of all, there are limited numbers of bows that come in your draw length as you've said. Secondly, a real bow shop will have the modules available to set you up for test firing. I know my bow shop does. You live in Texas. There are bow shops in Texas that can help you. Yup, you might have to travel a few extra miles, but it's worth the trip. You seem to have a lot of info I wouldn't expect from a newbie. I take it you've done your research or you're pulling our leg. Either way, a good bow shop can help you out. My bow shop is in Maryland... I live in NY.

Quick Reply: Short Draw Length

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.