Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too much draw weight? >

Too much draw weight?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much draw weight?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too much draw weight?

Fast Rep
ORIGINAL: bigdawgwill44

Hey i have my bow at 82 lbs right now, is this too much? I'm a big strong guy and have no problem pulling it (even a few hours of straight shooting while practicing) but some of my buddies give me a bad time and tell me something will go wrong pulling that much weight. do you think 82 lbs. is too much?
Here is my take on this. If you can pull 80 or 90 then why not do it. The thing I would caution you on is your arrows, are you shooting an arrow that is heavy enough for your bow?
I weightlifted for several years and trained with bodybuilders and powerlifters through that time, My bench was a crapload but like most who bench I also worked out my back and everything else.. Two years ago I fractured my elbow and still hunted that season pulling 71lb with the bad elbow. Since the elbow injury I struggle to lift heavy and rarely go to the gym, but have no issues shooting a 71lb bow.
my current plan is to get a Guardian and special order it in 80lb so I can shoot a heavier grain arrow and still get speeds around 300 fps in hunting conditions. I have yet to find weather where I can't pull 71lbs where I live so why not shoot a little heavier and beef up my arrow if I can pull 80lbs with ease?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

there are a lot of people shooting around 300fps with a good hunting weight arrow and still only pulling draw weights under 70lbs, and in my opinion a good hunting weight is 450 plus,but thats just my opinion.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

A guy I know is pulling 96lbs. He shoots one pin from 0-40yards. He shoots the heck out of his bow. he stays on top of it though, string cams, everything is kept in tip-top shape.

As long as your limbs are good and rated for it, then what would pulling a bit more wieght do wrong ?

What a HOSS!!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a 80lb guardian with a 500 grain matrix arrow, the bow is quiet and forgiving BUT this winter when it was 10 freakin degrees I could not pull that darn thing to save my a$$. I'm a pretty big guy but you have to find whats comfortable for you in diffrent situations. Inow have a 84lb commander backed off to 76lbs for the freezing temps and my screaming 84lb guardian is for spring and early fall. Just cause you can lift a smallblock out of a car dont mean you can draw that 80+ lb bow and wait for 2-3 minutes for that big buck to turn when its frozen snot city.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigzombee69

I shoot a 80lb guardian with a 500 grain matrix arrow, the bow is quiet and forgiving BUT this winter when it was 10 freakin degrees I could not pull that darn thing to save my a$$. I'm a pretty big guy but you have to find whats comfortable for you in diffrent situations. Inow have a 84lb commander backed off to 76lbs for the freezing temps and my screaming 84lb guardian is for spring and early fall. Just cause you can lift a smallblock out of a car dont mean you can draw that 80+ lb bow and wait for 2-3 minutes for that big buck to turn when its frozen snot city.
What speed is the Guradian shooting that 500 grain arrow?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:19 PM

I can shoot 80+ from the ground w/o difficulty. However, from sitting position in a stand, or kneeling, or any of the awkward positions I find myself in while trying to get a shot off at a deer, I find it almost impossible. I currently shoot 73# and it is quite comfortable during hunting situations. I am in the process of setting up a new Guardian at around 65#-haven't yet found the "sweet spot". Both shoot at speeds in excess of 300fps using Maxima Hunter 350's. Plenty fast enough for whitetails in my neck of the woods.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think if your bow is rated for 80lbs, youll be ok.....but if its 70lbs....watch out!

if youre pulling 82lbs just to tell everyone youre pulling 82lbs.....I think thats a more serious problem....haha.

so ya as long as your bow is rated appropriately, I know sometimes heavier draws require stiffer arrows/strong, ie they would flex to much if they cant handle that speed/draw weight and therefore either be dangerous to shoot, might break, or just more inaccurate.....so sometimes more draw weight jsut means more KE since you may need a heavier arrow.....though Im guessnig you gain some velocity too.

Personally I'd just like to shoot 70lbs well. I know with time I could pull way more, but I dont think I plan to draw/practice enough to get to that point....but who knows maybe in the years to come, though I dont really see a big advantage to it with the exception of dangerous game particularly african, which I never plan to hunt with a bow.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can point your arrow at a target and draw it stright back without a big bump at the end of your draw cycle, I would say your fine.
However if you start your draw above the tree line, grunt, or fart while drawing your bow, you may need to back her down a little.
I see this all the time, but dont try to tell them they are over bowed, its like your trying to take 2" of pecker away from them.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just becasue I can take a 65lb sack of feed in one hand throw over my shoulder and cary it doesnt mean I can draw my 63lb bow back when its
0 to -20 below out....Hell if i sit long enough in the teens it can be hard to draw it back. Drawing a bow is different that wieghtlifting and all that crap.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

If you can point your arrow at a target and draw it stright back without a big bump at the end of your draw cycle, I would say your fine.
I agree with this....WHATEVER your poundage.

Drawing in "cold" weather is a factor. I was pulling 71#'s in '06 when I arrowed my 8-pointer....after being on stand for more than 4 hours in the "cold". If you can.....you can. Don't worry what others think.

Quick Reply: Too much draw weight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.