Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help!!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Need Help!!

I'm paper tuning my newbow. Upon inital setup, I was shooting perfect bullet holes. After a couple of weeks went by, I tested it through paper again, and I wasn't seeing that perfect bullet hole anymore. Checked rest clearance and tried several different adjustments, but I couldn't get that perfect bullet hole back. I took some pictures to get some opinions. Hole is not as clean as I'm used to, but can't tell if it is really a tear or not. The tear is pretty symetrical all the way around. Two clean tears on the left, but the third tear is alwaysserrated to the right along the third fletching. I can't tell. Is that a bullet hole shot, or is the point hitting to the right andnock tearing to the left?Help with this would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help!!

I think you need to move you rest to the left some? Guys correct me if I'm wrong on this. It loks like your nock is hitting to the left of your FP.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Man, I can promise this. I don't know nothing about bow tuning, but the guy I work with does. And from what you just described, your string might be stretching, check with you bow shop!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:41 AM

ORIGINAL: smitdog

Man, I can promise this. I don't know nothing about bow tuning, but the guy I work with does. And from what you just described, your string might be stretching, check with you bow shop!
The bow is a Truth 2 and has a Winners Choice string, so it isn't supposed to stretch. Or at least that is what they say. I had one bow shop (not the one I bought it from) put a laser on the cams at brace and said it looked okay, but they didn't do much beyond that. I was consistantly shooting bullets before, but now I can't.Now it consistantly shoots the way you see it above. I've tried moving the rest to both the left and right (to extremes) because nothing really seemed to be getting me any closer. I'm going to take it back to the shop where I bought it and have them look it over. Besides putting a laser on the cams at brace, what are some other things they should be looking at, and how to check it? I want to be prepared when I go in there. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

have to ask have you checked your vanes for clearance ? no matter how much yo umove your rest if yo uhave a clearance issue it wont correct it thats what i would check first

did you change anything at all ?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 AM

Make sure your bow is still in right timing... Check to make sure your fletching is not touching your rest in flight... Then through it away and buy a bowtech
Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 AM

It may not be the bow at all, it could be inconsistent form.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

How far away were you?

I may be in the minority, here......but this method of tuning interests me very little. I just don't put much stock in it.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 PM

I used spray foot powder on my vanes, and it showed no indication of making contact with the rest. I've been testing probably anywhere from 6-10 feet back from the paper. I know that I don't have perfect form, but after initial setup I was shooting bullet holes very consistantly. Now I shoot what you see up above very consistantly just all of a sudden. I've tried moving the rest both directions up to extremes, but it always seems like it wants to kick left with not much change regardless. I went from shooting bullet holes all of the time, to where I can't get a bullet hole at all now. It seems like something has changed with the bow.I can shoot bullet holes all day long with my original Truth bow, which makes mebelieve it is something with the bow itself and not me. Maybe the cam leaning or something. Do you experts or shop owners have some suggestions on what to check and how to check them? I'm going to take it to the shop where I bought it as soon as I can, but I would like as much input as possible beforehand so I know all the right questions to ask. Thanks for the input so far. All help is greatly appreciated.