Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails?? >

Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails??

Old 04-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails??

Please take the time to fight through this long post....

Does everyone think they have out-smarted their white-tails? Because you have reached full draw... do you think you have out-smarted them? How many of the deer you have shot have looked at you once...orwatched you when you reached full draw? And watched the bow release and heard the arrow in flight? If they knew you were there...... they may have only let it happen because of the size of their grey matter...their brain....

Let's put it in perspective...in your world...

If you walked into your living room and your TV was shaped differently what would you do? If there was something on your wall that was out of place what would you do? You would know fellas!

Guys...the deer know when something is out of place...you are in their home...you are on their grounds....its just like in your home....you know when something is not in the right place...

The deer walk your hunting area while you're at work...and while you're BS'ing with your neighbors...(thats for VABOWMAN)....

My advice....only based on my experiences...you may laugh....but picture your shooting zones and picture what your silouette looks like to the deer....make yourself look like the tree...look like the branch....its so important to find a fat tree or something with cover....

On October1st when the woods is solid green...I have actually worn a white sweatshirt and white sweatpants before....I was in a dead tree and I knew this was my only safe-guard.....

stop and think about this.....you're in their home....don't look out of place....Aserious thing to remember...

Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails??

Yes, I have outsmarted the whitetails that I have killed. None of them have let it happen on purpose. They slipped up and now they are dead because I outsmarted them.

However, it is like playing a game of chess, you win some and you lose some. In that respect the deer usually win. The times that I am victorious are really special.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the fact that you say it was special when you were victorious.....really cool...
Old 04-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't look at it as outsmarting them. I look at is as figuring them out from time to time.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 PM

So...

Are the ones who let it happen... suicidal?

Or just animals to whom we generally give too much credit?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot an 8 point last year that caught my breathe on a cold November morning and copped a stare. I was at full draw with a 65% let off 70lb draw bow for what seemed eternity. He looked down and instantly right back up expecting me to move. I waiting until he started walking and said Hey and he stopped and didn't make it 40 yards before he was done.

I had another that looked at me and knew I had no shot due to the twigs and such. I stayed still but he stomped and blew several times to let me know I was there. We then played cat and mouse for the next month and a half, he always seemed to know where I was and would stay far enough away as if he wanted to let me know he was the King of his domain. I will be waiting October 1st in a different location with my climber
Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

and when bowhunting the victory is soo sweet. thats why we keep coming back for more and more.ive never killed more than2 deer in one season with a bow (im 18) and i probably bow hundted 60 days of the 4 month season at least. the deer spank us in stats lol! but if i could only count the deer i could of killed or just drawed back on for practice with no intent to shoot it may be a little bit better. im very picky about what i shoot so my odds are even lower than most imho.
btw, you coment of you being in the deers house is one that i believe completely. my dad (who was a marine) has always made that analogy to me adn i believe it to be so true. the big bucks, are big for a reason. if they were people and there was someone hiding in their living room, they would be the ones to pull out pistol and start shootin or have noticed the change in area way before they ever got to the living room (which is much the case with bowhunting)
Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Outsmarted a deer? Thats a bold statement to say.. for anyone. I've only ever truly outsmarted 1 whitetail my whole life thus far. And I did that with a combination of deer blows.. a few grunts.. a back-pack.. and a knowledge of whitetail. (a great story and one I will never forget).

Usually hunters dupe a deer.. or lure a deer.. and even surprise a deer (ambush most common).. and many just get lucky at times. But to truly outsmart them on a regular basis. I think not.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Bartender

I am with Greg onthey slipped upone to a tee. I play chess also and win much more often.
ORIGINAL: GregH

Yes, I have outsmarted the whitetails that I have killed. None of them have let it happen on purpose. They slipped up and now they are dead because I outsmarted them.

However, it is like playing a game of chess, you win some and you lose some. In that respect the deer usually win. The times that I am victorious are really special.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer locked on you and knew you were there....it acted jumpy.....you didn't out smart the deer....it out smarted you.....if it let you shoot it after that.....I feel its the brain matter or the experience for that individual deer....

If it locked on you and you still harvested the animal....I still think you lost.....Remember...you are man....that is an animal with different brain matter and different instincts......

I just want people to remember we are in their home.....not to analyze the details......

If it locked on you and saw you....it found you....you may get the deer....but it knew you were there...thats a fact.....

Quick Reply: Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.