HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what are the advantages of a tube peep sight? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/240357-what-advantages-tube-peep-sight.html)

ABarOfSoap 04-01-2008 07:59 PM

what are the advantages of a tube peep sight?

Ive always used a tube peep sight, never even really thought about it, till i saw someone shooting with just a peep sight and no tube, he said he gains almost 10 fps. Whats the point of the tube?

Greg / MO 04-01-2008 08:01 PM

RE: what are the advantages of a tube peep sight?

BigJ71 will be along shortly to answer this for you... ;)

OKbowhunter20 04-01-2008 08:03 PM

It pulls the points in the direction of the riser, so its strait, every time

Kelly/KY 04-01-2008 08:43 PM

OK has it correct. It's meant to align the peep correctly upon draw. I'm not a fan however, never liked the tube.

BigJ71 04-01-2008 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

BigJ71 will be along shortly to answer this for you... ;)
LOL!!:D

Yep it's well known that I'm a fan of the peep tubing. It's really pretty simple actually, I want my peep to align every time I draw no matter what. How I go about it is simple as well. First, I put on a quality string and cable. This is not mandatory but it helps greatly. Next (after shooting in the string) I install my peep so that it will align at full draw. Then I install a piece of quality peep tubing just short enough to turn the peep if need be. Too short and it will pull on the peep, this will cause accuracy problems as well as cause the peep tube to break prematurely. There is no need to have it stretched like a sling shot, all it has to do is align the peep.

Now I have a backup in case my peep doesn't align when I want it to. Now you're probably asking..."But BigJ, why would I want to use a tube when I have a quality string and cable on my bow....plusa lot of folks don't and just trust their string and it seems to be working for them?" Well to answer that great question:Dall I have to say is this.....I hope it continues to work for them and I wish all who do it that way (no tubing) much success every year. However, even the best string materials constructed by the best string makers can and will creep and stretch, sorry just the facts. They are subject to pressure and temperature changes just like pretty much every other material on earth. Synthetic string material is not immune to physics.;)

Now a lot of folks will most likely never have a problem but a lot will. All you need to do is visit this site for a while and you will end up reading a whole slew of posts about peeps not aligning. I just want to make my odds better when the moment comes for me to draw on a deer.

I've asked this question a lot of times on these type of threads when folks fire back at me with "I use a high quality string and cable and my peep has never moved." and I have yet to get an answer. I know the answer (and so do most) they just don't want to answer it.:D

The question is....(drum roll please).......What happens to a high quality, highly constructed string or cable when it starts to get to the end of it's service life? You guessed it...it starts to creep! If that happens at the wrong time, you will end up with no sight picture because your peep didn't align. I don't have to worry about that, or extreme temperature changes, or pressure changes, or even a "not so great" string and cable set. (remember not everybody can afford or is willing to replace BRAND NEW strings on a BRAND NEW bow that they just purchased to get a high quality set.) A lot of bows on the market come with decent strings at best, why shouldn't you be able to use those for a season or two before replacing them??

"Yeah but BigJ, them tubes are like a rubber band pointing at your eye!" No....no....step back from the ledge. I've tested what would happen if a tube let go at full draw and if installed correctly the tube barely makes it back to the peep. No worries about "loosing an eye" or some other natural catastrophe happening.:eek:When I finally got it to snap back with some force it was so tight it was actually pulling the string in toward the riser! Use some common sense change it often and you will have no worries.

"But BigJ, them tubes are noisy and they slow down your bow." Yep, I'm sure it makes more noise than without a tube but to be honest, it's pretty hard for me to tell, and I'm very certain none of the deer I've killed over the years ever heard it. I've never had a deer "jump a string" on me. Yep they will also slow down your bow, I've found about a 4-6 fps difference with or with out it, to me it's no big deal, to some "speed junkies" I guess it's a death sentence.:DNow before I get the usual "I seen it slow down a bow 15fps" post, I'm pretty sure I too can get a piece of tubing to slow down a bow that much. There are some pretty lousy and heavy peep tubing out there, if you put on enough of it you can slow down even the fastest of bows. Use a good quality tubing, unlike good quality strings the tubing is easier to get, easier to install and far cheaper...bout 3-4 bucks. Make sure you install it correctly with the proper length, not too much and not too little, and you will probablyonly see a fewfps difference (depending on the bow)

Well there you have it, for me as a hunter, I want my hunting tool to work when I want it to, and if I can gain an advantage with a little "double security" then I'm all about it.

Greg / MO.....how was that??:D;):D

deepzak 04-02-2008 02:23 AM

BigJ, here's an answer to your question. It gets replaced. I figure that with all the money that I spend on hunting that $90 is a small price to pay for a new string and cable set every year. I shoot 3D with my hunting bow, and practice almost daily, so by the time hunting season rolls around it's time for a new string. Besides, call me a fraddy cat if you want but I am a little gun shy of having a string break on me so I replace it before that ever becomes an option (unless it gets cut). Not trying to cut on you, if you like the peep tubing and it works for you; great, keep up the good work. I just don't like having the extra entanglement hazard while transiting through the woods, not to mention the reduction of string speed. I will say that you are correct in that if it is installed properly that it should not be an eye hazard. Good luck and shoot straight!

GR8atta2d 04-02-2008 04:28 AM

If put on correctly they will align everytime, there is no danger of the tubing breaking and leaving you with a badly bruised or blind eye.

Tubed peeps are just old technology that we have risen above.

You'll notice less noise at the shot and a few more fps with a tubeless peep. It's how it's done these days!

peakrut 04-02-2008 04:31 AM

I am finally getting rid of my tube. If I dont go back to aluminium then I am switching to blazers also.

Greg / MO 04-02-2008 06:02 AM

Greg / MO.....how was that??:D;):D
That's why I left it in your capable hands... ;)

cowboy4513 04-02-2008 06:13 AM

I have NEVER usued a tube... ive been ahead of times I would say;)