Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is Bowhunting in our genetic makeup? >

Is Bowhunting in our genetic makeup?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is Bowhunting in our genetic makeup?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Default Is Bowhunting in our genetic makeup?

I was sitting and thinking the other day and began to think about our ancestors from thousands of years ago who first hunted with a bow and arrow. I began to think about how sometimes when my brain doesn't get in the way I shoot without thinking and shoot wonderfully. This especially comes into play with me when I shoot my recurve. And it got me to thinking that you would have to believe that somewhere in our genetic makeup the instincts to shoot a bow and arrow have been passed down through the generations and all we have to do is find the way to unlock that genetic code. Sort of like having a locked room in our brain with all the information you ever wanted to know about bowhunting and shooting a bow in that locked room. Its all there without you knowing its there, and all you have to do is find the key to unlock it. Does anyone else sort of believe this too?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is Bowhunting in our genetic makeup?

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

I was sitting and thinking the other day and began to think about our ancestors from thousands of years ago who first hunted with a bow and arrow. I began to think about how sometimes when my brain doesn't get in the way I shoot without thinking and shoot wonderfully. This especially comes into play with me when I shoot my recurve. And it got me to thinking that you would have to believe that somewhere in our genetic makeup the instincts to shoot a bow and arrow have been passed down through the generations and all we have to do is find the way to unlock that genetic code. Sort of like having a locked room in our brain with all the information you ever wanted to know about bowhunting and shooting a bow in that locked room. Its all there without you knowing its there, and all you have to do is find the key to unlock it. Does anyone else sort of believe this too?
Nah....we are just BIG KIDS! It's FUN!!

Stop thinkin so much [:-]
Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

My dad's middle name was bowman.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

Nah....we are just BIG KIDS! It's FUN!!

Stop thinkin so much [:-]

X2-That's funny!!!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM

I don't think it's in our genes, but I do think those that are meant to do it, do it, and those that don't, well, don't....I mean I know some guys that try to bowhunt and give it up after a few seasons, others like me and most of these guys on here, we just don't quit, we take the good with the bad and don't expect too much, or we do expect too have down times.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I don't think it's in our genes, but I do think those that are meant to do it, do it, and those that don't, well, don't....I mean I know some guys that try to bowhunt and give it up after a few seasons, others like me and most of these guys on here, we just don't quit, we take the good with the bad and don't expect too much, or we do expect too have down times.
but look at Jeff...... he was an old fart when he started

so much for your theory [:-]
Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know about shooting a bow but i think hunting is in all of our blood, even anti-hunters, they just dont realize that we dont dedicate our lives to killing animals but just like to be out there, watching everything like the sunrise and all the birds and if a big buck walks by, more meat on the table, thats what hunting is all about
Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Preach he's only been at it 2.5 yrs!!we don't know if he's gonna stick it out?? Calm down Jeff it's a joke..
Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

i dont know about shooting a bow but i think hunting is in all of our blood, even anti-hunters, they just dont realize that we dont dedicate our lives to killing animals but just like to be out there, watching everything like the sunrise and all the birds and if a big buck walks by, more meat on the table, thats what hunting is all about
I agree with this 100%. I think hunting IS part of our make-up.....and I've also said I fear it's being bred out .....slowly, but surely.....from the "modern" man.

THAT is sad.

I love this quote:

The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the descendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter. - Finn Aagard

And VA....I've been hunting more years than you've likely been alive.....just not with a bow.

This is my NEW passion. I went at the others with the same fervor.....but I have never enjoyed hunting so much as the last 3 years. I admit that.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:51 PM

I don't know Jeff,you have me on the ducks but you ain't got me on the deer hunting. I started hunting in general for small game and birds about 20 yrs ago and the deer about 18 yrs ago, but you are much older than me!!!

Quick Reply: Is Bowhunting in our genetic makeup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.