Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snakes

Old 03-27-2008, 09:54 PM

Default Snakes

Anyone ever worry about rattlers when bowhunting in the mid to late summer months? What do you do to prevent a bite, wear snake boots? If the boots go to your knees do you think a rattler could strike that high? Thanks for everyones input!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Snakes

Rattle snakes arent an issue here in VA. last muzzleloader season I was sitting on the ground at the base of a birch tree before the sun came up. I was moving some leaves so I wouldnt make any noise and had a copperhead snap at the back of my hand. I had gloves on and the SOB snagged a fang in my glove.

Needless to say I went back up in my tree stand!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are a issue here in Southern California, and we keep a pretty good lookout for them. Snake boots are a plus, I think they can get 8 to 10" of elevation off the ground, so I thinksnake bootswould help here. In the summer and late summer here we see them almost every time out.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Ya i was looking at getting the Danner 18" snake boots for summer bowhunting in Central Oregon.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: targethogs

They are a issue here in Southern California, and we keep a pretty good lookout for them. Snake boots are a plus, I think they can get 8 to 10" of elevation off the ground, so I thinksnake bootswould help here. In the summer and late summer here we see them almost every time out.
Nasty! When I hunt in Fort Peck in Montana elk hunting there supposively there too but yet have I had a run in with one. I hope it stays that way.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

There definately thick in Oklahoma, came close to stepping on one last September while checking a feeder shortly after dark. But at least you can hear rattlesnakes, it's them copperheads that people fear the most. Them dudes are aggressive, knew a lady working in her garden, got bit three times by one copperhead before she knew what happened.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:10 AM
N2D

I have, and use, a pair of snake gators when I am out walking in thicker places where I cannot absolutely be certain that it's clear where I put my foot down. I think any hight snake boot will, fore the most part, suffice. When I hunt I usually do not wear them, if I do I take them off before I go up the tree.

I came very close to stepping on a copperhead last year while out scouting and was not wearing the gators. The good thing about copperheads (If there are any good about them) is they usually will not kill you unlikle a rattler.Rattlers can play for keeps depending on where you get bitten and how long until medical treatment. And they do not have to rattle before they strike either like some suggest.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have a few rattlesnakes in the northern counties, and I've only ever seen one Copperhead in my life......(i plan to see 2 more this Saturday though actually )
So I don't worry about snakes one bit.....get it?....... bit.

Could you imagine living or hunting in some place like Australia where EVERYTHING can kill you. Between the snakes and spiders they have I'd leave the house in full body armor I think. []
Old 03-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter

There definately thick in Oklahoma, came close to stepping on one last September while checking a feeder shortly after dark. But at least you can hear rattlesnakes, it's them copperheads that people fear the most. Them dudes are aggressive, knew a lady working in her garden, got bit three times by one copperhead before she knew what happened.
+1 I live in Oklahoma and I have seen a few while scouting during the summer months. I am going to buy a good pair of snake books this time.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've only seen 3-4 snakes in all of my years of hunting so they never cross my mind.

Quick Reply: Snakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.