HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   laser sight for bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/229088-laser-sight-bow.html)

bigtim6656 01-25-2008 05:36 PM

laser sight for bow

i saw a laser point sight you clip on your sight for bows

do they work
it said they give you longer shooting time
can you use them during the day light
how accurate are they

Paul L Mohr 01-25-2008 06:12 PM

RE: laser sight for bow

Are you talking about an actual laser sight that projects a beam of light onto your target, or a light that shines on your pins to keep them bright when the light starts to fade? If it is an actual laser I don't think they are legal for hunting in most states, and I don't think they are legal for most target shooting. At least I have never seen or heard of one for target archery.

And for hunting deer I don't think a red laser would work all that well on a deer being the color of the fur. Not to mention the laser sights I have used in the past didn't work all that well in the sun. I haven't had one in years though, maybe they have gotten better?

Putting a laser on your bow will show you how much you move around during the shot though and it will show grip flaws that cause torque too.

I wouldn't want to hunt with one. I have used the lights that light up your pins as well and didn't care much for them either. With decent fiber optic sights you should be able to see your pins in legal light, unless maybe you hunt deep in the woods with lots of cover.

Paul

bigtim6656 01-26-2008 08:18 AM

from what i could tell it went from your bow to the deer like the laser grips for pistols

Paul L Mohr 01-26-2008 10:02 AM

Then I'm going to guess it would be illegal depending on the state you live. I would for sure check the regulations.

And like I said I don't think it would work very well, maybe for poaching them at night, but I'm not sure because of the color and type of fur on a deer. Never pointed a laser at one to be honest.

My opinion after using laser sights on some different weapons is they work pretty well for what they were designed for, shooting people in low light at close distances when you can't aim properly for one reason or another. Other than that I really don't see where they give you that much of an advantage.

Also keep in mind that a twig, leaf or certain weather conditions could keep the beam from making it to the animal.

Paul

LKNCHOPPERS 01-26-2008 11:27 AM

I think they are "Junk" on a bow. I tried one, very limited on what you can do with it. Don't waste your time and money on one for a bow. For a pistol they are pretty good.

stevezt4 01-26-2008 01:33 PM

they work great on pistol's very accurate and make clearing a house easier, however it is illegal in ohio and i dont think it would be that great, the laser is straight it doesnt drop, so you would have to use it similiar to a one pin that doesnt move. i wouldnt waste my money