Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2008 Hoyt Katera >

2008 Hoyt Katera

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 Hoyt Katera

Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 AM

Default 2008 Hoyt Katera

Has anyone shot this bow and will it be much of an advantage for me to get a bow that shoots 22 fps IBO than what i am shooting now? I have always been a hoyt fan but i dont know if the cost will off set the advantages I will see over my 3 year old Hoyt Havoc tec? any insight into this new bow would be great. Dont mention Mathews cause its not going to happen. my bow shoots around 270 real hunting conditions so does that mean the Katera should shoot near 290-300??
Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2008 Hoyt Katera

I shot this bow (as well as every other offering from every manufacturer) at the ATA show in Indy... it is indeed a very nice bow -- probably among the nicest of all the rest I shot.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 AM

You're going to gain KE and shootability. The cams on the Katera are NOTHING like you're Havoctec. Not that the Havoc is a bad bow, it's not. Shoot one and you'll see what I mean. And I believethe Havoc tec is older than 3 years. Closer to 5 I think, but that's a moot point really. The Katera is far smoother, and lots quieter.

As far as what speed you can expect out of it, what's your finished arrow weight, draw weight and draw length?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been fortunate enough to tinke with these bows for a few months at work. It's VERY nice. The introduced the new cam, which is about 5fps faster than the Vector cam from 07'. They also lightened them up for this year, they now even list the weight! They are weighing them in at 4.7lbs now. Not to mention the 08' strings seem to be a REAL improvement. I think you'll be impressed by it, and I'd be willing to say if you shot it, you'd be getting it.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 AM

well, you guys probably have just talked me into getting a divorce! Ill probably go shoot this bow on saturday and see where it leaves me, Anyone need a good used Bow! Yea i think your right about the ageI bought the bow in 04,
I dunno exactly i shoot a 25 1/4 in arrow 8.2 grains and a 100 gr tip. Count fletchings probably 315 grains? I know i need to lose the overdraw, but i already bought arrows
Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Well I kind of need some specifics to guestimate what speeds you will be getting, but you won't need that overdraw. Sounds like you'll need new arrows because even though today's risers will allow an arrow shorter than the draw length, you're arrows may end up being too short. In fact, I would highly recommend ditching the overdraw, just because you can get arrows the same weight in a longer length, and the longer arrow will stabilize better.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biggest difference your gonna notice when you shoot it is how much smoother and easier it is to shoot because of the parallel limb system.......... I am a huge hoyt fan and always have been one and shot thembut to tell ya the truth I wasn't real impressed with the Katera. Its a great bow but compaired to what mathews has done with the DXT and how sweet shooting of a lil bow it is far exceeds the Katera. Now if hoyt could lighten their 70 lb bows by another pound, shorten them up from 33 inches to 30-31in,and make the bow smoother shooting they will be on the top again but until they do that they are just a pretty nice bow. They should really get rid of their backwards brace and tighten those split limbs up and see if they can get some weight off that bow and maintain their strength and speed. I know these features have gotten to be a trademark of hoyt but I think its time for a change to meet what more hunters want (exspecially us hunters that head west hikin the big hills), light weight and compact hunting bows. WCL
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sell your arrows with your bow and get a whole new set up, doing it right. You may lose some money on your arrows but you'll be better in the long run. If your gonna spend the money you might as well do it right the first time to meet what that bow needs specifically. WCL
Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 AM

Holy moly, I nearly just busted a gut!! You've got HOYT stamped in your signature, and your recommending a MATHEWS? Oh man that's just funny......

Now if hoyt could lighten their 70 lb bows by another pound,
Why not just turn it down to 69?? I know what you mean, but a 70# bow's mass weight is the same as a 60.

shorten them up from 33 inches to 30-31in
Uh, there are some problems w/ short ATA bows as well, but we're not going to get into those. Look at the bows that Bowtech is offering this year. Some of the hottest selling bows around, and just look around the forums.....There must be 100 posts about them, and they aren't that short. So I'm not sure a 30 or 31" ATA bow is REALLY want the hunters want. Oh, I'm sure there are some that do, but far and away, I think not.

I do agree, completely, that this year's bows are pretty much the same as last year's, and I also hope this year they come out with something breathtaking.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM

Hoyts are really nice bows, but the weight is a major concern. 4.7 lbs!!! Who wants to haul that hog around except to a close byblind or treestand. Out west that is way too much weight to carry through the mountains.

Quick Reply: 2008 Hoyt Katera

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.