Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Turkey 101--novice questions >

Bowhunting Turkey 101--novice questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Turkey 101--novice questions

Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting Turkey 101--novice questions

I have barely ever tried turkey hunting. I have seen some and even shot at one last year and missed at 25 yards with my bow. Anyways, I am planning to hunt turkey this spring gobbler seasoln with my bow. I have some basic questions to put me on the turkey.

1) What color fletchings should I use?
2) Should I use decoys and if so, what is a basic set-up?
3) What kind of call should I use?
4) Do I go in 30-60 minutes before dark to set up like deer hunting?
5) Calling sequences....how long between calling sequences?

Those are just some of the basic questions I have at the moment...any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. I would really like to learn how to turkey hunt. I think this would be a great way to get my son (who is only 3 1/2) into hunting when he gets older...he could sit with me in a ground blind when it is not so cold. Thanks all for any tips on turkey hunting.....the more basic the better.

Shadow

Old 01-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting Turkey 101--novice questions

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I have barely ever tried turkey hunting. I have seen some and even shot at one last year and missed at 25 yards with my bow. Anyways, I am planning to hunt turkey this spring gobbler seasoln with my bow. I have some basic questions to put me on the turkey.

1) What color fletchings should I use? What ever you use for deer will be fine.
2) Should I use decoys and if so, what is a basic set-up? I like 2 jakes one hen, or a lone hen
3) What kind of call should I use? Box calls work great. learning to use mouth calls is fun.
4) Do I go in 30-60 minutes before dark to set up like deer hunting? Get set up before first light. You can hunt turkeys successfully all day long.
5) Calling sequences....how long between calling sequences?Once you get a Tom in sight just give some purs and soft calls and see how he responds. If he is comming to you just get ready. If he hangs up try some more aggressive calls but over calling usually will make a Tom leary. just watch his demeanor and you will figure it out.

Those are just some of the basic questions I have at the moment...any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. I would really like to learn how to turkey hunt. I think this would be a great way to get my son (who is only 3 1/2) into hunting when he gets older...he could sit with me in a ground blind when it is not so cold. Thanks all for any tips on turkey hunting.....the more basic the better.
Turkey hunting is a ton of fun and easy to pick up on. Good luck this spring.
Shadow
Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Shadow
1) it really won't matter unless you have really bright flourescent colors...in this case movement will be the hurting factor....best, if possible, to hunt from a blind

2) i would say decoy would be good...atleast one hen..but two won't hurt..i like to have one "feeding" and one "alert" or just standing up..a good starting set would be the "love triangle" will get to hens and a jake...just in case you find a really dominate tom..

3)as a beginer i would say a simple box call (push button) would be fine..or a slate call (practice is a must here)

4) that depends on your birds..private or public? lots of factors here? alwasy get there early unless you "put the birds to bed" (watch what tree they fly up to the night before to roost) then you will need to be there early to listen to them gobble before they come off of the roost so you can be ready for them...knowing your terrain and watching the birds day to day travel patterns will really help here

5) this is really dependant on you...and lots of experience...i will say overall "less is more"...on the roost you want to call very little to none at all, IMO, although different species may have different habits...if you know where birds are and know what they do then calling will be easy

best advice i can give....get some turkey hunting videos and watch them ( i like primos, hs strut, and real tree) ..watch what they do, how they do it, and when they do things......simply for your knowledge not to say they are right or wrong...but trying to imitate there calling is good too..

hope that helps
Old 01-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Dominant Buck

MOTOWN gives good advice.

Just remember that turkeys see REALLY well.....AND in color.

When I have a bird in range....coming....I lay off the calling. I don't see the point....but you'll have to "take his temperature". It's different.....a lot of the time.

My cousin told me once....when we were duck hunting (but it holds true for all animals)......"The secret to being a good caller.....is being where they wanna come".
Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you all for the tips...I am going to print this thread out and bring it with me in the woods this spring It will be alot of fun, will be like starting hunting again, but with turkey. I know where some turkey are on the place I hunt, a public military base. There are not alot but I have seen them enough to know where they are basically. I guess I need a blind with enough room to draw a bow or at least get some good cover behind some lay down trees to be able to draw then raise up and shoot? I am going to get a couple of decoys and already have a box call that someone gave me....just need to learn the techniques of calling....ie..purrs and soft calls so that I can use them effectively when it is crunch time.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mo's in red, mine in blue

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

What ever you use for deer will be fine. Very true, I used my whitetail setup. Question, are you in blind or out? Reason I ask, out of a blind I don't recommend red, white or blue fletch. These are the same colors as turkeys heads and I want you to be safe if other hunters are in the area. Also, out of blind, take your quiver off, although not necessary for shooting, the color of your fletch is less important, your quiver laying to your side, your arrow nocked, he isn't going to see that.

2) Should I use decoys and if so, what is a basic set-up? I like 2 jakes one hen, or a lone hen Again, I agree. Face the jakes towards you and the hen facing the opposite way you think the gobbler will come. Gobblers will take other gobblers head on putting the gobbler between you and the decoys. When it comes to hens, once they make eye contact, the may strut and hold up. If the hen doesn't "look" at them, they tend to come more and will take a hen from the "rear".

3) What kind of call should I use? Box calls work great. learning to use mouth calls is fun. Again, great advice but I'd like to add, don't hesitate not to learn glass or slate calls. All calls call turkeys and what worked yesterday might not work today when another call will. Be versatile and have many calls. The mouth call is also a great call to learn as mo said. Once your bow is in your hand, the mouth call is all you have.

4) Do I go in 30-60 minutes before dark to set up like deer hunting? Get set up before first light. You can hunt turkeys successfully all day long. It is best to be out at first light. You'll hear them gobble before coming off the roost. That will pretty much tell you where they will be come evening as well. If you don't have success right off the roost, stick with it, they may be henned up, usually are and the hens will leave them after a while and they will be looking again.

5) Calling sequences....how long between calling sequences?Once you get a Tom in sight just give some purs and soft calls and see how he responds. If he is comming to you just get ready. If he hangs up try some more aggressive calls but over calling usually will make a Tom leary. just watch his demeanor and you will figure it out. Excellent. Less calling is more. We call it, taking the birds temperature. If he's responding and coming to a certain call, use it and be subtle. When he's dedicated, be silent, watch and listen. If he stops responding, be silent and listen, he may be coming on a string.

Turkey hunting is a ton of fun and easy to pick up on. Good luck this spring. More great advice from mo! Have fun, experience will tell you what to do. The biggest advice I can give you, BE PATIENT. Some gobblers will RUN in, others may take an hour or more and come silent.
Shadow

Old 01-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Couple tips, dont get one of those tripod chairs, they tend to sink in the dirt. get one of the folding camp stools with the fold out back, mine even has a zippered pouch on the bottom for storage. get a bow holder that sticks in the ground and holds your bow in the ready position in front of you, if you need to use your hands for calling. study a turkey vitals chart and see what the best kill zones are, they are small. (could someone post this?) If your in a pop up ground blind wear black shirt, face mask, and hat, it blends with the shadows better, natural ground blind, full camo. i believe everyone has covered your questions wisely. good info guys
Old 01-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

The best advice I can give you is take a great caller with you if you can

My first 3 years I took a buddy with me who was lights out on calling. One great thing about turkeys hunters, is the really good ones love to go call just as much as hunt.

My guy called in 7 toms that first year. I had 7 times going nuts around me. It was great!!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Mo's in red, mine in blue

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

What ever you use for deer will be fine. Very true, I used my whitetail setup. Question, are you in blind or out? Reason I ask, out of a blind I don't recommend red, white or blue fletch. These are the same colors as turkeys heads and I want you to be safe if other hunters are in the area. Also, out of blind, take your quiver off, although not necessary for shooting, the color of your fletch is less important, your quiver laying to your side, your arrow nocked, he isn't going to see that.

2) Should I use decoys and if so, what is a basic set-up? I like 2 jakes one hen, or a lone hen Again, I agree. Face the jakes towards you and the hen facing the opposite way you think the gobbler will come. Gobblers will take other gobblers head on putting the gobbler between you and the decoys. When it comes to hens, once they make eye contact, the may strut and hold up. If the hen doesn't "look" at them, they tend to come more and will take a hen from the "rear".

3) What kind of call should I use? Box calls work great. learning to use mouth calls is fun. Again, great advice but I'd like to add, don't hesitate not to learn glass or slate calls. All calls call turkeys and what worked yesterday might not work today when another call will. Be versatile and have many calls. The mouth call is also a great call to learn as mo said. Once your bow is in your hand, the mouth call is all you have.

4) Do I go in 30-60 minutes before dark to set up like deer hunting? Get set up before first light. You can hunt turkeys successfully all day long. It is best to be out at first light. You'll hear them gobble before coming off the roost. That will pretty much tell you where they will be come evening as well. If you don't have success right off the roost, stick with it, they may be henned up, usually are and the hens will leave them after a while and they will be looking again.

5) Calling sequences....how long between calling sequences?Once you get a Tom in sight just give some purs and soft calls and see how he responds. If he is comming to you just get ready. If he hangs up try some more aggressive calls but over calling usually will make a Tom leary. just watch his demeanor and you will figure it out. Excellent. Less calling is more. We call it, taking the birds temperature. If he's responding and coming to a certain call, use it and be subtle. When he's dedicated, be silent, watch and listen. If he stops responding, be silent and listen, he may be coming on a string.

Turkey hunting is a ton of fun and easy to pick up on. Good luck this spring. More great advice from mo! Have fun, experience will tell you what to do. The biggest advice I can give you, BE PATIENT. Some gobblers will RUN in, others may take an hour or more and come silent.
Shadow
This is very good advice. The one thing I'd add to this is decoy distance.

I have found that using a set up like Rob and Motown have mentioned, I like to place them 10-14 yards from my blind. The reason is that if the tom hangs up, it's usually 15-20 yards from the decoys. This set-up will still bring them into bow range if they hang up. It's kind of weird at first, seems like you're right on top of them, but it works.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

One thing I might add here is the broadhead. You may want to try the Gobbler Guillotine! This is a very large broadhead intended for turkeys. Shooting a turkey with a bow is very difficult due to the size of the vitals. They are tough birds and unless the shot is perfect you may lose him. My son shot a jake last fall and made a "perfect" shot. In fact the arrow went right through the vitals but for some reason didn't put him down. We ended up searching and finally finding that bird over 200 yds. from the stand location. The Guillotine, I believe, is a much better broadhead for turkeys.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Turkey 101--novice questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.