Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wisconsin Shed hunters >

Wisconsin Shed hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin Shed hunters

Old 01-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wisconsin Shed hunters

Just wondering if anyone has found any sheds yet or seen any bucks with horns on still.Also can I get a few pointers on where to look. Thank you.

>>>-------->
Old 01-15-2008, 08:25 PM

Default RE: Wisconsin Shed hunters

I've got 3 so far. Found them on trails leading between the food source and the bedding area. I'll hit the bedding areas harder in another month or so.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 dang... dan I am already behind!

cool stuff..any pix?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 PM

I posted a couple pics here back in Dec of the first two I found. They were laying 15' apart. Nothing big....2 spikes and a small 4 (8pt).

No worry about being behind, I have a busy winter and spring......I'll be lucky to hit 100 this year.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I found one on 12/14, I barely missed this guy in November and found his shed 100 yards from where I shot! I was shocked to find it that early!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a little further south in northen Illinois.. but I have 3 sheds and 1 dead buck thus far. Two in a bedding area and one on a trail between bedding and feeding.

As far as pointers.. walk.. and walk some more. Hit the south and east facing hillsides in woods or field.. hit feeding areas.. and hit every deadfall and bedding area hard. And when your just walking out to a particular area walk a good trail in between bedding and feeding.. and when you think you've walked enough walk some more.

It's still real early.. nearly all the bucks I've encountered still have full head gear on. But there are sheds to be found too.. just don't over pressure the deer.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! great find guys and thanks for the help. I will be looking next week and will inform of my findings. Every shed I have ever found has been by accident. I just enjoy being out in the woods.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

3 dang... dan I am already behind!

cool stuff..any pix?
Still pretty quiet here also. Boss's neighbor found 3 small ones when they werehauling grain out.I've yet to evensee a half rack buck. Tyler seen his first one last night on the way home from school.We saw a lot of bucks last weekend and this week.Tyler is chomping at the bit so I let himsnoop in onlya couple real goodfeedingareas so not to disturb anything. It will be a bit yet. We are in for some very cold weather the nextcouple weeks. That should loosen a few but it looks like mid Febuary before things startgetting good here.

dukemichaels, Troy, Dan and Bowhuntingfool

Any idea how many acres/ or milesyou cover in a year walking ?? How many sheds do you normally find?? Just curious. duke... spot on on the walking bit.

Just to give theoriginal poster an idea of how much walking we do... I get permission for at least 20,000 acres of private land in my area. Granted the deer herd up here and will winter inroughly1/4 of it. We will put on 10 -15 milesa day on weekends when we get serious... usually towards the end of Febuary. 3 - 4 milesafter work during the week startingby March when there is more day light. We try to make it out at least 2-3evenings during the week. Thereare two of us so times that by2.I usually put on180-200 miles a year. Tyler is well over that as he gets to usuallytromp4 daysmore when I have to work. Fair to say we put on about 400 miles a year between the two of us.

Last year was a great year and we found 246 sheds.We usually average 145 shedsbetween the two of us otherwise.Doing the math... we find 1 shed/2.75 miles of walking normally.Last year we found 1 shed/1.6 miles.

Our best day was 21 sheds. We usually average 5- 10 every outing.

Our terrain is ag land, CRP and catails/sloughs.

Tim
Old 01-16-2008, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw a buck the opther nite with antlers yet and saw another one this morning with antlers on my way in to work.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: TJF

Still pretty quiet here also. Boss's neighbor found 3 small ones when they werehauling grain out.I've yet to evensee a half rack buck. Tyler seen his first one last night on the way home from school.We saw a lot of bucks last weekend and this week.Tyler is chomping at the bit so I let himsnoop in onlya couple real goodfeedingareas so not to disturb anything. It will be a bit yet. We are in for some very cold weather the nextcouple weeks. That should loosen a few but it looks like mid Febuary before things startgetting good here.

dukemichaels, Troy, Dan and Bowhuntingfool

Any idea how many acres/ or milesyou cover in a year walking ?? How many sheds do you normally find?? Just curious. duke... spot on on the walking bit.

Just to give theoriginal poster an idea of how much walking we do... I get permission for at least 20,000 acres of private land in my area. Granted the deer herd up here and will winter inroughly1/4 of it. We will put on 10 -15 milesa day on weekends when we get serious... usually towards the end of Febuary. 3 - 4 milesafter work during the week startingby March when there is more day light. We try to make it out at least 2-3evenings during the week. Thereare two of us so times that by2.I usually put on180-200 miles a year. Tyler is well over that as he gets to usuallytromp4 daysmore when I have to work. Fair to say we put on about 400 miles a year between the two of us.

Last year was a great year and we found 246 sheds.We usually average 145 shedsbetween the two of us otherwise.Doing the math... we find 1 shed/2.75 miles of walking normally.Last year we found 1 shed/1.6 miles.

Our best day was 21 sheds. We usually average 5- 10 every outing.

Our terrain is ag land, CRP and catails/sloughs.

Tim

Well last year I only got out 2.5 days up at camp. I walked about 20-25 miles those days and found 54 sheds. My best day was 23.

I'm hoping to get out a little more this year and at least break 100......if I had more time I know I could find 300-400 in a year up there.

On average I walk about 10-12 miles on a full day shed hunt.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Shed hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.