Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best arrow for elk >

Best arrow for elk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best arrow for elk

Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 AM

Default RE: Best arrow for elk

Perhaps the point some of you are missing is that whilea lightweight whitetail setup will kill an elk on a good shot. However we don't all make good shots on game especially something the size of an elk you call in for the first time in your life. Let me tell you, your heart will be pounding will bull fever.. not some pansy buck fever. If you do make a bad shot and hit a shoulder blade or even a rib with lightweight setup you probably won't break through the shoulderand the rib could make your arrow glance away from vitals.A heavier arrow and cut on contact BHwill give you better odds of making that kill. If you don't believe me, check out what Chuck Adam's (the current P&Y record holder for typical NA elk) says..

Why take a chance with such a magnificant animal?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Use whatever is working for you on deer, there is no magic arrow. Only differing opinion I have is I love the A/C Superslims because of the added weight and still being aluminum/carbon, but thats just what I personally chose. For those say who an a/c shaft will bend, I'll say with full confidence most carbons will break before my Slims will bend.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Spike

It is my understanding Easton no longer makes the AC superslims.

I think I've narrowed down my selection to these, listed in priority order.
1 Easton A/C/C; 2 Easton Axis; 3 Carbon Express Maxima Hunter

I agree, accuracy is always the most important factor. Since some of my shots could be in that 40 to 50 yard range I thought a hair lighter arrow may be a better choice. I'd still keep it over 400 gr.

Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 AM

I tried to order some A/C Super Slims last week and was told they were discontinued. Too bad - although the Axis FMJ fills this niche nicely.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I shot my elk I actually used my regular old Easton 2213 with a 100 Gr. Muzzy. Full pass through and he piled up less than 100 yards away. 2 days later my buddy put one down with an Easton 2415 with the same broadheads. My dad has put numerous elk down with the 2213's as well.

Personally I don't care what arrow you use...if you hit the right spot on the shoulder of any elk...you will get no penetration. that is a lot of bone to bust through. If you are going to shoot at a shoulder on an elk...make sure it is the shoulder on the opposite side!!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:47 PM

I am going to apply for a archery tag this year as well... thanks for the suggestions it helped answer a few questions I had.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

astrait one always works best!