Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Newb

Old 12-12-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Bow Newb

Hey there, Im needing some help. I am SO TOTALLY NEW to Bowhunting I cant even tell you!!! That being said a buddy of mine handed over his HIGH COUNTRY to me and is letting me get used to it. The problem is, and I realized it today, this bow is not set up for me at all. So now Im looking at getting a bow of my own and was wondering what suggestions you all might have. I live in TN and am just looking to get something to start off with, nothing to expensive, or new, but nothing that wouldn't serve the purpose either. I would like to practice during the coming year and be ready when the season opens. Thanks ahead of time for the info!!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow Newb

id go with a bear or diamond. bear has been around a long time and had proved it self to be tuff, reliable, and inexpensive.i was spectacle bout diamond till i went bow shoppin for a new bow this summer and found them smooth and cheap and has a great back wall, also hasa light weight and pretty fast. but probablymy best advice to u is to go out there and shoot some bows and find what u like
Old 12-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the Martin Bengal, great bow at a great price, i havent once wished i bought anything else for my first bow.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without getting into specific bows I'd suggest patronizing a local pro shop to see what brands and models they offer. Being new you probably have few ideas about draw length and draw weight and their importance to "get it right". Also you'd be able to get some hands-on help if and when you need it.

Don't get all hyped up about this brand or that brand. All manufacturers make decent bows. Try to shoot many, keeping about each model notes about what is important to you. To get an honest comparison make sure each bow has the same draw length and weight set identical.

You can find lots of decent bows for about $300 or a little more. Below that and you're not getting much in the way of performance or technology. Dual, single, or hybrid cam is not as important as how well the bow fits you and how it feels to you.

As mentioned, the Martin Bengal is a heck of a bow. It's smaller version called the Cheetah is about $329, new. You could even look for some leftover 07's or earlier. Nothing wrong with them. The technological advantages aren't that great compared with 08's. Look for some close-outs.

But, don't buy a bow you haven't shot. And I mean the actual bow you intend to buy. Not all bows of the same make and model are identical.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Try several. Everyone has different tastes. AS you noticed with the bow you were using. There is not one bow that is better than the other. The bow the fits you best, and you like the best, is the best bow for you.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

agreed, try different bows and different draw weights. a good local bow shop will have someone who really enjoys helping people select a good combination of bow, arrows and accessories that suit them. I also agree to not get too hung up on brands until you've tried different ones out. however, some of the Bear's from the last couple years are widely considered great bang foryour buck. (pun intended)
Old 12-13-2007, 09:37 PM

Well from one FF to another, go out to a couple of pro shops. Try some out. they can help u out the best for getting the right draw length, variety of models etc. You may be able to even get one on consignment from them for a lower price. Diamond makes good bows. Talk to some of the guys, that bow hunt,from the station. Ask what they shoot. You'll have to go out & shoot to find out what you really like. It won't be cheap. A full (modest) set up will cost u maybe $3-500 when all said & done. Mind you that a used one. New bows usually run that price w/nothing on them. Good luck.