Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats the best way to use scents >

whats the best way to use scents

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats the best way to use scents

Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default whats the best way to use scents

Hey all, I was hoping someone could please tell me the best way to use scents and How Much to use ? I have tried every thing trails end 307, tinks, docs, golden estrusyou name it except for the $40 code blue.
this year I did buy 1 1/2 yo young buck urine and some pheromone curiosity scent from Kirchner's.
whats the best way to use this stuff,should I make a scrape and use the Young buck scent and then thepheromone on a scent drag with a wick ? aalso how much is too much to use. I really could use some help on this I have yet to bring a deer in on any scents and I am in a New area this year that get little to med pressure, Thank You for any and all info you can provide
John
Old 11-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-06-2007, 06:36 PM

Default RE: whats the best way to use scents

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Im not a huge fan of curiosity scents because alot of companies just mix all of their scents together and call it "curiosity", during the rut, sometimes you can get away with it, outside of that, its more of a deer repellant. Id also say that, depending on how far into the rut you are, its a tad late for the scrape idea. In NJ, I could probably get away with working a scrape/mock scrape for another week, max.

Id take that Young Buck scent, put it on a drag rag and tie it to one of your boots, then do the same with the curiosity, but on the other boot. This will give the impression of a young buck attempting to tend an early estrous doe. Cross over known buck, or doe trails with the rags, then hang them both from twigs/branches, 20yards from your stand/blind.

You could also make a mock scrape within bow range of your stand and drop some curiosity scent in the middle, then make a little trail 10yards out from the scrape with the young buck scent.

Heres one way that Im using scents on a mock scrape tomoro, not to hunt, but for my camera. Im making a mock scrape under a licking branch. Im putting estrous scent on the scrape and dripping young buck scent around it. Also, Im putting corn down with C'Mere Deer and a 4-Way mineral/licking block. Both will be in range of the camera and Im setting it on video. This will bring bucks and does in. Hopefully, when they come to eat, they start to work/tend the scrape and maybe Ill catch my 140 or droptine on film !!
I say if you're gonna tromp around and do all of that, you're gonna get lots of human stinky in your hunting area.